Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Safety Footwear MK 2!  (Read 1705 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Safety Footwear MK 2!
« on: August 09, 2022, 04:49:51 pm »
Well, knackered ankle now has added problem PAINFUL FOOT!

The last 2 yrs have been interesting, foot wise! Bekina Steplite wellies are ok, Nora Therm are divine, for those who don't know, Nora are Dunlop Thermo + with ankle support! Brilliant!

But, for the last 4 months I have been in pain, knife sticking in heel pain. Apparently it's Plantar Facilitis.

I've done exercises, leg on table (went numb, got cramp aswell), rubbed deep heat, deep freeze, strapped icepacks to my foot! Insoles? You name them, I got them.

GP yesterday said 6 months to heal (I'm 2/3's there!) She said STOP wearing safety footwear, it's too hard (I need it for ankle), boots are Amblers with side zip (fabulous invention) especially as foot is swollen and side zip means easy on/off.

I have some vionic footwear coming to help.

But, like many things, I've also been warned this is something that now I got it, it WILL keep coming back.

Maybe I'm buying the wrong insoles but can anyone recommend any for wellies, which are a must for winter (or when wet!)
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
Re: Safety Footwear MK 2!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 04:07:02 pm »
Had the same here.  Started after I jumped out of the jockey door in wellies expecting the ground to be a lot softer,  Might have had bucket of corn in hand too, and I'm not the lightest person.

Mine was Nov/Dec and is only just coming right.  I wear safety footwear most of time.  Wearing newer boots helped.  There was a short period of a month or so when it started easing that my toes hurt, especially after kneeling.  One foot sorted well before the other.

What I found helped a lot is how I put pressure on my foot as I got up out of bed or from rest.  Try putting the weight on different parts of the your foot first e.g. the outside edge then slowly transferring weight in other places, and giving your foot a good minute or two to standing on it (the pain is much worse when you start walking after sleeping or resting, feels better during exercise, but returns after resting).

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 05:32:17 pm »
Had the same here.  Started after I jumped out of the jockey door in wellies expecting the ground to be a lot softer,  Might have had bucket of corn in hand too, and I'm not the lightest person.

Mine was Nov/Dec and is only just coming right.  I wear safety footwear most of time.  Wearing newer boots helped.  There was a short period of a month or so when it started easing that my toes hurt, especially after kneeling.  One foot sorted well before the other.

What I found helped a lot is how I put pressure on my foot as I got up out of bed or from rest.  Try putting the weight on different parts of the your foot first e.g. the outside edge then slowly transferring weight in other places, and giving your foot a good minute or two to standing on it (the pain is much worse when you start walking after sleeping or resting, feels better during exercise, but returns after resting).

I'm not light either!

Vionics?? Size 8 mens, 8.5 women's, couldn't even get them on the good foot. At £95 per pair, shocked! Going back tomorrow!

Launching onto floor first thing in morning, bloody hell does it hurt. Calms down ONLY if sit with leg out as bent seems to make it worse. Movement makes it worse too, so I'm knackered, literally. I came in the other morning, went on the garden for a couple of hours and then came in and spent the rest of the day with my leg up recovering! It's laughable, but my concern is we're currently quiet here, Mary and the sheep grazing, we're not harvesting etc, so it's quiet, but the tups due in soon and winter (yey gods!) is soon, cow calving, sheep lambing, mum falling down etc (something I need both feet to steady myself whilst picking her up) and i'm foreseeing PAIN! I was offered the steroid jab and though I've googled that, it's not permanent!

I don't like pain, especially in my foot!. Back, sciatica etc is bad enough but my foot is unbelievable!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 06:56:16 pm »
An anti inflammatory diet can help too. Probably low carb high fat, whole food. The GAPS diet may be useful. I have been amazed how many conditions are caused or worsened by processed foods, particularly for me is anything with flour or vegetable oil.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 07:36:54 pm »
I was told to keep a bottle of water in the freezer and to roll it under my foot to give relief.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS