Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing rams in the hot weather  (Read 1141 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Introducing rams in the hot weather
« on: August 09, 2022, 02:26:13 pm »
I’m after some advice....we have just got a new (older) ram and he in isolation in a pen/ stable were he can see other sheep and move about freely. My plan was to bring my other ram home, put them in a tight pen for a few hours then turn them out. BUT with the weather so hot 30+ and the new ram reasonably settled, shall I just leave be until the weather cools (not til next Monday) I’m concerned they both might get too hot squashed in a tight pen, they will be in a stable so undercover but a bit airless. I could do it overnight but wouldn’t be around to watch for problems.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Introducing rams in the hot weather
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 10:09:45 am »
I think if you can hold off till next week, that would be better. I don’t know about you but when I pen up my rams tight, they mess in their water quicker than I can replace it, so that would be my main concern. My rams are in a relatively small pen in a big shed, to be fair the shed is quite cool, and they seem ok.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Introducing rams in the hot weather
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 08:39:40 pm »
Late to the party.

I purchased a new ram on Friday 5/8 and had him on his own to begin with but he was not happy.  So on Monday 8/8 I penned him up in a small pen with two other rams.  No food or water and much shoving.  I let them out into a stable and bit of yard nearly 9 hours later when they had stopped squabbling.  Yes they did all head for the water, followed by the hay but they have been happy together since.

I think that the heat helped settle them together quicker than if it had been cool.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS