Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sea birds.  (Read 1720 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Sea birds.
« on: August 02, 2022, 09:17:06 am »
My son and his family are up here on holiday from Wales. They rent a holiday cottage just a couple of miles from us which is right by the sea. They like to be on the water with their canoes or swimming in the sea. also fishing. There are about 5 cottages all very busy during the summer with people on holiday. Bird flu is very bad up here and on the beach were dead or dying seabirds which was so sad to see yet my son said there was no warning in the cottage to keep children and dogs away from any dead or dying birds. He thought bird flu was no longer a problem . This is the first summer we have seen so many dead birds so it is not getting any better. I no longer keep chickens but it must be such a worry for people who do.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sea birds.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 11:14:08 am »
We didn't buy our usual 40 POL this spring. If we get a lockdown this winter, the ones we still have will be culled.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 11:58:55 am »
The level of sea bird deaths has been astronomical. There were at least 30 on one 500m stretch of lunan bay a few weeks ago. Mostly Guillimots.
I don’t see how there can be another lockdown as bird flu is clearly now endemic to Britain. The strange thing for me to understand is how it took years rather than weeks to spread around our marine birds given that there’s a lot of cross over between habitats of sea birds, waders, resident and migratory geese and other birds. Viral infections usually result in initial exponential infection/harm/symptoms followed by tailing off with smaller ‘peaks’ due to host stress or previously isolated subsets of a pop becoming isolated.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 01:46:01 pm »
The level of sea bird deaths has been astronomical. There were at least 30 on one 500m stretch of lunan bay a few weeks ago. Mostly Guillimots.
I don’t see how there can be another lockdown as bird flu is clearly now endemic to Britain. The strange thing for me to understand is how it took years rather than weeks to spread around our marine birds given that there’s a lot of cross over between habitats of sea birds, waders, resident and migratory geese and other birds. Viral infections usually result in initial exponential infection/harm/symptoms followed by tailing off with smaller ‘peaks’ due to host stress or previously isolated subsets of a pop becoming isolated.
It is some sort of different strain. I have even seen dead crows in my garden.
It has never been that bad.

I was really looking forward to poultry sales this spring and summer  :gloomy:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS