Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drinkers for larger flocks  (Read 2167 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Drinkers for larger flocks
« on: August 16, 2022, 06:13:13 pm »
For those who keep chicken flocks of 50 or 60 plus, what type of drinker(s) have you found most convenient?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Drinkers for larger flocks
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 07:47:15 pm »
I don't have a huge number of birds now but the solution to keeping water clean for me and less refilling, was a couple of round plastic tubs with lids and a couple of gadgets i bought on eBay to push into the side.  They screw in near teh bottom of the tubs and had small bowls attached so when the hens peck (they catch on quick) the water flows out to refill them.

When I had larger numbers my son bought a water butt with a lid and fitted drinker nipples to it - same principle except no bowls, so probably even cleaner
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 07:10:05 pm »
Thanks doganjo, I think I know the type you mean. I'll try that once I can get hold of a larger container or butt.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 05:17:00 pm »
Maybe a large plastic bin would do. So long as it has a lid, and can be drilled into to make the holes
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS