Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: water now...  (Read 3142 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
water now...
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:49:08 am »
now the snow and ice turning into water, dripping into my kitchen. It does not look like a broken pipe, more like the guttering thaw pressing in above the window. some other leaks showing in the walls underneath the metal part of the roof. Could be worse I suppose but a pain nevertheless! How are others coping?  :&>

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: water now...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:51:51 am »
we have had part of our guttering pulled down with the weight of the snow, thatas all up to now, fingers crossed. hope your ok

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:55:34 am »
to be very honest, so far I am glad we never got round to replacing the old guttering as it is metal and very sturdy , although it does not look nice any more. I hope this will not be too much for this old quality piece of work... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:05:45 pm »
Temp up a wee bit down here but not what you'd call a thaw.  Water still freezing in ducks pool. Have dug out my wheels, and salted gravel underneath, left it running with heater on full blast so will have a go at escaping later today.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »
I'm a bit worried about my car as I did buy extra antifreeze but was caught out before I could put it in...not sure what to look for before I give it a go (so far the drive is still high in snow, so no use in trying as yet, maybe tomorrow?) :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »
We're thawing! Don't know how long it will last but making the most of it meantime  ;D

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 03:17:18 pm »
Don't talk to me about guttering   >:(

Our lovely landlord was meant to fix ours last december but hasn't bothered & it's been leaking over our front steps.

Rachel slipped on the frozen water yesterday, went all her length down the steps, landed on her back & hit her head.

Needless to say, we were in the hospital for a few hours before getting home.

Reported this to our landlord & got nowhere, not even "is she ok?"

Time to move on methinks ...... anyone got a cottage to rent ?

Oh aye, all the snow is melting here too ...... about bloody time   :-\

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »
what a shame, Dave! I think you have the law on your side, this is gross negligence!
Will keep my eyes open for cottages .  :&>

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 04:22:28 pm »
Lots of dripping and the trees are green rather than white now which is a good sign :)

Not sure the fields look any different and it was still cold in the wind and I still had to fill the troughs by hose and bucket, but fingers crossed they might start filling themselves in the next day or so ::)

Looking at the remaining barn roof, it looks like that side of roof timbers have been pulled slightly out of alignment when the leanto came away :( so I hope there is no strong wind to lift the nails up further or I'll have another roof down ::)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS