Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Correct wire mesh and weight for chicken wire.  (Read 2611 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Correct wire mesh and weight for chicken wire.
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:47:50 pm »
I want to build a chicken run and note that there appears to be three main hole size in the wire mesh.  13mm 25mm 50mm.
I thought it a good idea to put wire mesh under the floor of the chicken house and buried under the floor of the run in the hope that it would make the whole structure Rat proof.
Could anyone suggest what the correct hole size should be for under the chicken house floor and the floor of the run and what size hole should be used for the fence surrounding the run.  I would also welcom a suggestion as to what weight wire mesh should be used.  I intent to build the run two meters high and to have a wire mesh ceiling if that’s the correct term.

hairyhetty

Re: Correct wire mesh and weight for chicken wire.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »
we use 25 mm but dont have prob with rats. i suspect rats could squeeze in this size. the thicker and sturdier the wire on walls the better but it does cost more. i would use a lighter gauge if horizontal roof as it is heavy. try and find a farm supplier that sells 50 metre rolls, not the tiny rolls that work out really expensive. galvanised wire is def investment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS