Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: still miss him...  (Read 6316 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
still miss him...
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:17:44 pm »
It's been 30 years, and it still seems like yesterday that John Lennon was killed. Having grown up with The Beatles this was a very emotional biggie and I still feel the loss of the so influential genius. Of course I just watched the documentary on line but I still got weepy when my daughter sang Imagine at the school show last year...just had to share this    :'( :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: still miss him...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:36:02 pm »
My feelings too - a sad loss for the World.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:58 am »
Apart from writing some lovely songs, what did he actually do to make him so missed? (Question not meant to be controversial).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:48:42 am »
Sorry, grossly overrated.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:52:52 am »
I don't think modern music would be where it is today without his input - I know that's the first part of your question, HM.

He played a huge part in my "formative years" which can be summarised in "Imagine" - the thought process behind his later work, his no nonsense approach to war. Songs may be just songs for youngsters today - I don't really know, they don't tell me  ;D - but they were more than just music for us... :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:01 am »
well, I felt that Elvis was overrated, all a matter of taste and generation  ;D ;D

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:09:58 am »
I'm all shook up!!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
I didn't know either of them, so couldn't say what they were like personally, therefore not interested in all the hype, then or now.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:31:40 pm »
well, I felt that Elvis was overrated, all a matter of taste and generation  ;D ;D
You and I must be on the same wavelength Kerstin - wasn't interested in Elvis at all.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:58 pm »
I think it depends on what you were doing in your life at the time. John Lennon was very much a part of my life and so will always bring memories. I was in East germany when Elvis died and was told about him by someone who whispered it to me in a meeting. I was genuinely upset, much to the consternation of my "minder".I was also upset by the death of Buddy Holly.

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
who? i must be way to young for this convo :P :P :P :P :P
Craig

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:46 pm »
Not only is this the anniversary of John Lennon's death, its also my sons' 15th birthday.  Now this is odd:  When I was pregnant I had several dreams about John and Yoko, heaven knows why, I was never a big fan although always loved the music.  My son was born five and a half weeks early on the same day John Lennon was shot!   :o My son went on to become virtually obsessed with beatles music, although it wasn't until a couple of years ago he found out his birthday was the same day as John's death.  I thought it was really strange that he should be so interested in this music when all his school friends were far more up to date with hardly any of them even rating beatles music - my son was seriously 'uncool', but he was undeterred.  He has collected all his favourite beatles albums on VINYL!!  And can play most of the big hits on his keyboard with no music to follow and no teacher and he's really good - should be in a band, but then I am his mother!  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:46:27 pm »
Not only is this the anniversary of John Lennon's death, its also my sons' 15th birthday.  Now this is odd:  When I was pregnant I had several dreams about John and Yoko, heaven knows why, I was never a big fan although always loved the music.  My son was born five and a half weeks early on the same day John Lennon was shot!   :o My son went on to become virtually obsessed with beatles music, although it wasn't until a couple of years ago he found out his birthday was the same day as John's death.  I thought it was really strange that he should be so interested in this music when all his school friends were far more up to date with hardly any of them even rating beatles music - my son was seriously 'uncool', but he was undeterred.  He has collected all his favourite beatles albums on VINYL!!  And can play most of the big hits on his keyboard with no music to follow and no teacher and he's really good - should be in a band, but then I am his mother!  :D
Well, I don't think John, Paul, George or Ringo could read music at the time either.  I used to play the piano without music till my Grandma paid for piano lessons for me - can't play a note now without remembering that ruler on my fingers every time I played a wrong note,and I've forgotten all of that woman's teaching.  So don't put him to lessons.  I think it's quite spooky that he is a Beatles fan, maybe he is John reincarnated lol

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:46:44 pm »
Keep us posted on his career, morri2, this might get interesting! ;D Especially if he starts composing   ;)

Sheila, what on  earth did you do in the DDR in 1977?

:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:48:06 pm »
Keep us posted on his career, morri2, this might get interesting! ;D Especially if he starts composing   ;)

Sheila, what on  earth did you do in the DDR in 1977?

:&>
Now that WOULD be spooky!  ;D

Sheila was chipping away at the Wall! ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS