Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep shearer request  (Read 1982 times)

Sally22

• Joined May 2018
Sheep shearer request
« on: July 16, 2022, 10:40:13 am »
I have been left without my sheep shearer suddenly! He was called away  to work in Scotland.  I have 3 hebridian sheep  and my neighbour has 2 so we are desperately looking for someone to help us out.

Thank you.
Judith

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: Sheep shearer request
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 05:27:25 am »
Sally, stating your location might help

Sally22

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 03:29:59 pm »
I have been left without my sheep shearer suddenly! He was called away  to work in Scotland.  I have 3 hebridian sheep  and my neighbour has 2 so we are desperately looking for someone to help us out. Cheshire/Wirral based.

Thank you.
Judith

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 11:57:05 am »
Judith, I've done mine with a largish pair of scissors before now, tied up to gate and started along back then worked down sides. Fleece should have risen, so you just work through that new growth, keeping blades flat to skin. I like to see the blade through the fleece so take less than a shearer would, but knowing I'm clear from skin.
Had some shears given which makes it a bit easier, but still takes time.  :)

I've just been reading on FB of someone who hasn't sheared yet, she says the fleece actually keeps them cooler, that's OK if you aren't worried about flystrike.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:00:45 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 12:38:29 pm »
One of my Soays hasn't shed yet, apart from (conveniently) a patch round her tail so her bum is clean! I have to say she looks far more comfortable wearing a full woolly coat than all the others that have shed!!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 01:20:17 pm »
One thing I've discovered I like with the Wiltshires. Saying that, Hebe was going around with a Mohawk and dregs down her back legs and no amount of bribery would work. She would brace herself, snatch the grub and just when I was about to grab a handful, she scarpered. When I got the cattle in for the TB test, got the sheep in too, cornered her, grabbed! 2 weeks later, she still looks at me with disgust BUT she will eat out of my hand again!
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 04:13:54 pm »
One thing I've discovered I like with the Wiltshires. Saying that, Hebe was going around with a Mohawk and dregs down her back legs and no amount of bribery would work.
I had one that I abandoned, heat/time, MIDGES!, so she was wandering round wearing a 'tutu' for a few weeks. Tidied up now.  ;D

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 04:39:12 pm »
One thing I've discovered I like with the Wiltshires. Saying that, Hebe was going around with a Mohawk and dregs down her back legs and no amount of bribery would work.
I had one that I abandoned, heat/time, MIDGES!, so she was wandering round wearing a 'tutu' for a few weeks. Tidied up now.  ;D

I reckon she was doing it to prove she's an ockered individual. Her twin sister shed as a lamb last year but Hebe and Hazel (a half sister) didnt. Hazel shed this year no problem but Hebe..... She must have been determined to hold onto the fleece. All the ewes shed, but NOT her. Wizzy shed months ago and to go out and find fleece bits everywhere, actually made me think there had been an attack. I've since watched them shake like the dogs when wet and it fly off! It's an experience and a sight when you've never had shedders before.
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 02:27:55 am »
I have the same, Ivy shed nicely, just pulled a little bit out, sister Ivana stayed full fleeced until I did the deed. Their sister from 2 years earlier has the most horrible fleece ever, can't get the hand shears under it, shortish, curly, wiry, no rise. And she gets strike EVERY year. Had to get a friend with electric to get it off before any problems this year.
As I hate her horns and she's a bully. She's going asap!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS