Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 acres agricultural land Cornwall  (Read 6702 times)

CaraB

• Joined Jun 2022
4 acres agricultural land Cornwall
« on: June 29, 2022, 03:37:06 pm »
Hi, we are in the process of purchasing 4acres of agricultural land in Cornwall, it’s very hard to find out what we can and cannot do in regards to sheds/storage units without planning?

It has no buildings on it, already has road access via a gate which we hope to change into a splayed entrance and move the gate back abit.

Anyone had any experience with this and can send us some advice please?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 4 acres agricultural land Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 08:13:32 pm »
Our field is section 75 (agri use only), and we had to go through agricultural planning approval for our polytunnel (because it being commercial size) and the the goat + hay shed (concrete foundations) as well. This was possible at the time, but I think they have now changed the minimum size of the holding to something much bigger than 8 acres (which is the size of our field).

I think speaking to the planning dept is necessary, especially if you have nosy neighbours...

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 09:04:57 pm »
I’m sure someone with better understanding will be along… I seem to remember that planning for sheds was easier if you managed more than a certain average, maybe 12? But you didn’t have to own all of it, so could lease some but get a hay store on your land.  This was ages ago though so probably outdated and forgotten what I’d read.

CaraB

• Joined Jun 2022
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 06:32:58 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I think we may have to enquire with the planning just that risks them becoming too interested then! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:03:28 am »
Found this by googling - "At present, you can erect, extend, or alter a building on agricultural land if it meets the following criteria: The agricultural land must not be less than 5 hectares in area. You cannot erect, build or alter any building classed as a dwelling. The building must be solely for the purpose of agriculture.18 Dec 2020"

And this might help - https://www.evangatefs.com/how-to-get-planning-permission-on-agricultural-land/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 11:51:37 am »
The agricultural land must not be less than 5 hectares in area.

That's what I meant. The change came into force shortly after we did our building works.

Usually having moveable fieldshelters and small polytunnels are fine, but again consulting the planning department may well be necessary (and they will charge you for the priviledge...).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 08:10:28 pm »
I'm a volunteer for RDA and we use field shelters on sledges with wheels for the horses as we are on council owned land and not allowed to, put anything permanent in them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CaraB

• Joined Jun 2022
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 04:50:41 pm »
Hi all - yes there is a lot about what we can do with 5 hectares or over - which is apparently almost anything! But not a lot of information on under 5 hectares.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 05:58:13 pm »
Hi all - yes there is a lot about what we can do with 5 hectares or over - which is apparently almost anything! But not a lot of information on under 5 hectares.

Which is there for a reason - people try and buy a smallish parcel of agri-land and then try and get planning on it for a house.

However you can do quite a bit - just on a smaller scale.

Do you have water on your field? Without it you are going to find it quite hard to get anything started...

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 10:00:38 pm »
The 5 hectares (12 acres) probably comes from single farm payment (steadily being phased out)as being minimum acreage required to qualify.10 years ago it used to be 5 acres until government decided that they could save money on the admin as a lot of recipients had under 12 acres.
5 hectares is also the benchmark for countryside stewardship.

CaraB

• Joined Jun 2022
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 05:54:52 pm »

Which is there for a reason - people try and buy a smallish parcel of agri-land and then try and get planning on it for a house.

However you can do quite a bit - just on a smaller scale.

Do you have water on your field? Without it you are going to find it quite hard to get anything started...

Well hopefully it’ll go in our favour that we don’t want to build a house on it then. Just something for storage - our children want to grow some veg and things so polytunnels etc.
We have the ability to get water/services to our land yes. But it’s not there yet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 02:07:08 pm »
There is nothing stopping you putting old horse boxe/trailers on there for storage, moveable hen-houses (as in chicken tractors) and horse shelters on skids.

Polytunnels should be no problem at all, but they may still need planning if the council wants the money...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS