Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suspected case of Foot and Mouth  (Read 2085 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Suspected case of Foot and Mouth
« on: June 24, 2022, 08:40:42 am »
Anyone had any information about the suspected FMD case in Norfolk?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Suspected case of Foot and Mouth
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 08:53:19 am »
 Notice on the main defra FMD page.   Sounds like it's precautionary.

Temporary control zone linky
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 08:55:40 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 09:16:06 am »
I have since been told it is suspected in pigs and test results expected later today. Lets hope it is negative  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 09:00:46 am »
Following official testing at the UK national reference laboratory, the UK Chief Veterinary Officer has negated suspicion of foot and mouth disease in pigs at a premises Near Feltwell, Kings Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk.

:relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 03:44:35 pm »
Bloody Chinese whispers. FMD ruled out; suspected Swine Vesicular Disease.
I actually got a marketing email from a comapny titled FMD - and tryiung to sell me disinfectant. Shocking marketing.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 07:46:34 pm »
Bloody Chinese whispers. FMD ruled out; suspected Swine Vesicular Disease.
I actually got a marketing email from a comapny titled FMD - and tryiung to sell me disinfectant. Shocking marketing.

The symptoms of FMD and SVD are so alike they treat as worst case scenario until FMD is ruled out. Whilst is a sigh of relief for the wider farming community it is still not good for the pig industry if SVD is proven. Yes, it is shocking that companies are jumping on the band wagon but the majority of people with livestock have a very poor approach to bio security.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 06:57:24 pm »
Only just caught up with this thread but thought it might be of interest to chip in anyway. I am within the 10km Control Zone that was imposed when FMD was first suspected and received a message from APHA informing me of this with a link to restrictions required. Presumably, this was because I am a registered livestock keeper within the CZ, including with pigs. Over the weekend the FMD Control Zone was replaced by a SVD Control Zone and this was finally lifted on Sunday evening. (FMD affects a wide range of livestock, SVD just pigs). The source of concern was an outdoor commercial pig enterprise of which there are lots around here. My impression was that there was a high level of concern within Defra until FMD and subsequently SVD were both ruled out. I believe investigations are ongoing at the pig unit. I was told that there are regular alerts for these sorts of things almost on a weekly basis but that this was the first time in some years it was felt necessary to impose a Control Zone. As an indicator of the level of concern, between Friday and Sunday I was the recipient of 3 targeted text messages, 1 phone call from an official and 2 emails from the same. As Harmony points out, I suspect there was a very big sigh of relief when both were eliminated. With all the current food supply issues and pressures on farmers a FMD outbreak would be calamitous.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS