Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormer to add to feed  (Read 3266 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Wormer to add to feed
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:21:06 pm »
Hi can someone recommend a good wormer. Looking for an oral wormer to add to feed. Many thanks

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Wormer to add to feed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:36:16 pm »
Hi, I have a huge bag of panacur which I got from Mole Valley Farmers - enough for about 200 pigs and I had just 2....!

I can let you have some if you want and will copy all the details out too - otherwise it will probably be out of date by the time I finish it in 5 years..

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:41:53 pm »
fiffix,

No need to copy - all medicines are on the NOAH website

Panacur powder

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Panacur_4_ACU-_Powder___Premix_for_medicated_feed/-35986.html

Panacur pellets

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Panacur_1_5_ACU-_Pellets/-29733.html

The links on the left give you everything you need to know (and much more!)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:44:56 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »
Hi, I have a huge bag of panacur which I got from Mole Valley Farmers - enough for about 200 pigs and I had just 2....!

I can let you have some if you want and will copy all the details out too - otherwise it will probably be out of date by the time I finish it in 5 years..

Wow many thanks  :bouquet: how kind. :) I have 8 to do, obviously more than happy to cover costs and postage, if thats how you want to do it.

Ill PM my details, if you could do the same and costs Ill get some money off to you, what a great help ;-) and yes better than letting it go off  :love: :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the links Oaklands, very grateful  :pig: :pig:  :love:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:46:44 pm »
enough for about 200 pigs and I had just 2....!

It's the only problem with Panacur - lots of smallholder friends have bags they will never finish!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »
Couple of quick query's?

1/ How long for Panacur to take effect? I was thinking on the lines of a couple of weeks, am I way off.

Odd thing is the day after i administered it two of them started to curl their tails :) Cant believe it would be that quick ;D Just made me curious.

2/ If you had a persistant worm issue and it remained after a single dose, can you re-administer and if so how long between doses?

Haven't got that issue i hope just someting to add to my book of what to do if ;)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:50 am »
We use Fenbendazole - you can buy it in a tub and it has a year or so shelf life, and not too expensive either  :pig:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:29 pm »
1/ How long for Panacur to take effect? I was thinking on the lines of a couple of weeks, am I way off.

Odd thing is the day after i administered it two of them started to curl their tails :) Cant believe it would be that quick ;D Just made me curious.

2/ If you had a persistant worm issue and it remained after a single dose, can you re-administer and if so how long between doses?

1. Usually start to see worms after 24 hours, but if they don't have visible ones, or don't have them at all, you will see nothing.
Curly tail - coincidence, but funny  :)
All wormers only kill the worms inside the pig at the time (they are not a preventative). If they are on wormy ground, pigs will start to get them again immediately. You aim is to keep the worm burden under control, not to eliminate worms altogether. 
Why control worms? - because if it gets out of control then a really heavy burden of intestinal worms can suck more goodness out of the pig than you are putting in, it will get thin and ultimately (if you do nothing about it) kill the pig.  This would not happen without you knowing that something serious was wrong.  Lung worms can create breathing problems – again you should be able to spot this in most cases.
At a lesser infestation level, the pig will be slower to grow, and of course you are feeding not only the pigs but the worms, so more money and longer to get to weight.
You can re-treat the pigs, but as you are not trying to eliminate, this not really required and not recomended!  If you treat too often, then the worms that do survive will be those that have some resistance, so in the end you will be doing you pig no good. 
In the sheep world the consensus used to be to worm often.  However there are worms that are now resistant to several types of  wormers, and the view has changed dramatically to only treat based wherever possible on worm burden counts, or only occasionally.
General view for pigs is to worm every 6 months– but with those that are just for meat, make sure that the breeder worms, and you will not need to as they will be at slaughter weight when they would be next due.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS