Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: one pregnant sheep in a panic !  (Read 8443 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
one pregnant sheep in a panic !
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:02:02 pm »
An unusual occurence today - my best (and favourite) shearling, who - all being well - is about two months pregnant, picked up a long twiggy rose stem which was presumably left over from when the hedge was cut weeks ago, and on seeing it attached to her hind leg out of the corner of her eye, panicked and set off at a gallop along the fence, then turned and galloped flat out back towards the flock and was about to set off for another go when I managed to catch her, remove the offending item and calm her down (she was panting a little).  On checking 15 mins later her and chums were grazing quietly.  (Glad I was there as wouldn't imagine it would have come away from her fleece in a hurry !

Is this amount of stress likely to cause her to lose any lambs she was carrying ??  I know I can't do anything about it but would be interested to hear comments, thanks

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: one pregnant sheep in a panic !
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:21 pm »
She's still quite early on, and quite fit, so I wouldn't have thought it should be a huge problem. If anything does happen, she will most likely re-absorb the lambs as she's still quite early on. When that kind of thing happens with only a month or less to go, thats when they tend to drop the lambs too early.

The worry is that if she does reabsorb, then you might not know about it until she just doesn't lamb.  :-\

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:17:41 pm »
thanks for the reply    Hoping to get them scanned later this month (another new experience !) so if the worst has happened could perhaps still make arrangements to have her tupped again, albeit for a much later lambing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:34:39 pm »
Who's doing your scanning?

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:04:57 pm »
as I only have four potentially pregnant ones and I've been advised that I wouldn't get anyone to do a scanning visit for such a small number (?) a neighbouring MV accredited farmer friend is arranging scanning and I will take mine there - don't actually know the details at the moment, however, should know in the next week or so

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:57 pm »
We're the same. I wonder if it's worth keeping such a small number, to be honest. It's hard to get a shearer, chemicals come in quantities for 100.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »
local vet said he would give me a tel. no. nearer the time for a local chap (Ayrshire based I think) who is happy to shear small flocks.  If I'm stuck had thought about having a go myself but with battery operated sheep shears as don't think I would last 5 mins with those huge hand shears ! I know the powered ones are horrendously expensive but if I'm going to show perhaps they're worth it ?? Figured that as my girls are about the size of small ponies could shear them standing up like you would clip ponies (ha ha) !!  Was hoping to find a contact through people I'm meeting locally via smallholders association to perhaps share buying wormers etc - although I understand it's probably not that easy as you would need to co-ordinate worming/vaccination dates as some of the stuff goes 'off' very quickly ? 

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:02:10 pm »
I do a few with the hand shears every year to keep my hand in (and my back out). The curious thing is that the sheep are a lot calmer and not quite so wriggly as when the shearer uses his electric shears.  tip is get used to 'rolling' the ewe/tup with your knees and also when you lay the ewe flat for the long strokes put your toes under the ewes shoulder to stop her from jumping up. I also only do 3 or 4 a day if i have a few to do. Also find a pair of hand shears that fit you they come in small medium and large, single spring and double spring
I definately DO NOT use the electric shears that horsey folk use... far too bulky
Ian

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:25:27 pm »
re shearing sheep, weve just borrowed a ram from a fellow ryeland breeder and whilst having the usual livestock chat he mentioned that he shears his own with them standing up throughout clipping? after having a go myself this year and suffering chronic back pain it made me think.................neil

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:17:25 am »
One very good source of information is your local vet. Ask him if he knows any shearers willing to shear a small amount, they are normally the ones with a wealth of knowledge or even a couple of you have your sheep shorn at the same time.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS