Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milly coming home today  (Read 4456 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
milly coming home today
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:30:38 am »
was talking to the owner of the billy this morning and he said he doesnt think milly has been mating with
billy at all ( upset ).
going to collect her at 2.00pm today am tempted to discuss about taking one of his young billys to be part
of our little herd.
if not i think its 21 days before she comes in heat again ( am i right in saying this ? ).
when does the breeding season actually finish e.g. what month.
as said i am abit upset but am still positive that some how at some point we shall get one of the girls in kid.
was looking at molly yesturday and apart from horrible spurs possible manage on hind feet which vet has tried treating twice ( i think i shall get a skin sample
done next to see what is going on there )
i might try her, what do you guys think? have any of ye ever had a nannie give birth to healthy kid(s) that seems to have little probs
like molly? would like to hear your thoughts on that one.
thanks everyone who has helped us( our family) get this far in our new adventure with goat keeping we are all gratefull.
thanks langdon :goat: 
Langdon ;)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: milly coming home today
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:44:11 am »
It is possible that she has not been in season at all during her time away.

Yes goats cycle every 21 days, can cycle all year round !   Usually the natural cessation of coming into season is around February.

Your Vet can inject to bring her into season which will be an active one.  You should have a male on site/ or she be away with a male.  BUT in any case,  the goat should be hand mated, i.e  you hold goat while the male jumps.
It is all over in a flash, so don't blink or you will miss it !!  Mate her twice at that time - he will be active again within 15 -20mins.    Let them mate later in that day - again hand mate .    Try her the following day.

I find with my girls - have mated 25 this year - that a successful mating usually results with the female being completely uninterested in the male within 18 hours.   All mine are hand mated and the time of mating is carefully recorded.

You cannot just put a female in with a male if they are not used to that method - the male will often bully a female that is not cycling and frighten her.

Like a lot of other people on this forum,  I have been mating goats for over 30 years and have seen most problems in that time.  But if your girl is not cycling properly then an injection given by the Vet to bring her into season will do no harm, but could just be the correct thing to do.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:52 am »
was talking to the owner of the billy this morning and he said he doesnt think milly has been mating with
billy at all ( upset ).
From what wytsend has said it's possible they have mated, if it's that quick, just not been seen doing it.  Can you scan goats?  What is the gestation period - would you scan about two thirds of the way through then pregnancy like we do with dogs? I have found that our local sheep scanner, Archie, is the most accurate person I've ever met!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:48:55 pm »
and dont panic about it being "late"  - our girl didnt meet the billy until January-February.
it just gives you a late summer kid.

I still dont believe your friend has been watching them 24/7...
Little Blue

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:29:27 pm »
Yes you can scan goats with the sheep scanner.  Usually at 21 days +,  but in this case the date of possible covering is unknown.

Gestation is 5 months - 150 days to be precise -  but goats are pretty accurate which is why it is essential to know the date of covering.
Kids can be born 7 days premature and survive with great care - obviously not left with the mother.  Goats can go 7 days overdue but even I,  as an experienced goat keeper would be very concerned by this time.

Back to what I was saying much earlier, as responsible stud goat owner would never do anything other than hand mate. 
The risks of putting an unknown female in with a male are huge - never mind the health risks !!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:02:30 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 05:05:24 pm »
Back to what I was saying much earlier, as responsible stud goat owner would never do anything other than hand mate. 
The risks of putting an unknown female in with a male are huge - never mind the health risks !!!!!
I agree here - I would never leave a dog with a bitch in season - the risks are even greater with dogs - if they are left and they mate and tie, a maiden dog or bitch might pull away causing physical damage to both

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:00:24 pm »
If Milly is not inkid - returns to season -  CHANGE the stud.  It appears the duty of care is lacking from Langdon's description.

I personally would observe her carefully justpast what you believe may be the 21 day period, get her scanned - your vet can do this - if empty get her injected to bring her on.  THEN take her to a responsible male owning goat keeper.

This is why so many people now have their own male goat !!  It takes away all the guess work.   I have even heard of 3 people owning a male and he does the rounds of eligible ladies. !!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »
There is also one other point not mentioned.  Milly should have been kept in isolation whilst on the other goat owner's property - this is not a legal requirement but one of good husbandry and normally always observed.

Langdon,  I hope you have kept Milly separate for at least 7 days since bringing her home - just in case she has picked up any virus' whilst away - it can happen very easily when an animal is subjected to strange areas to which they have no natural immunity.   She may look well but it is always better to be ultra careful than sorry later.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »
wystend i have to say ( first of all thanks for replys ) our freinds are good people and GOOD GOAT KEEPERS ;)
they have a lovely herd of british alpines and have been successfull with mating in their own herd.
they have been keeping goats now for a long time and use to show them at one time too.
i dont have any problems with going back to them with milly again.
sorry if i gave you a wrong impression of them as goat keepers, its me wanting this to happen first time every time,
thats the way i am!
again having said this thank you for your reply and help and advice concerning goat keeping.
thanks langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS