Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home alone chicken  (Read 3507 times)

lyndapeckover

• Joined Nov 2010
home alone chicken
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:32:22 pm »
Hi folks , as a newbie I did not think that straight away I would be asking for help...but , up until yesterday we had 4 lovely old breed hens bought this year at point of lay , all super layers and no moulting , then we had a fox attack.We now only  have the Light Sussex left and although she has no physical injury she seems totally traumatised.I 've tried her with Verm-X  ::) poultry spice and a spray on rescue remedy but she seems to be pining for the others...what can I do ?   lynda

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: home alone chicken
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 04:57:00 pm »
Welcome from fife  :wave:

Keep her in a darkened room/box thus keeping her calm, leave her alone for an hour or so, feed her luke warm water from a spoon, small bowl etc, and some warm mash (confort food)

in the mean time re-fox proof the pen if she makes full recovery start looking for another 2/3 birds for company or rehome her and start fresh

good luck

cameron

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »
And if you say where you are, some kind soul on here may give you a couple of hens to keep her company. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »
sorry to hear about your fox attack, i hope she pulls through.

hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »
And if you say where you are, some kind soul on here may give you a couple of hens to keep her company

if you are in/near fife, i will happily give you a couple of my older birds if you want

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 06:59:58 pm »
Hi there and welcome from a very wet and windy Worcestershire. :wave:

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the hens.  Certainly poultry is very distressed and nervous after any attack (wouldn't we be?!!)  I think the rescue remedy is a good idea.  You could try putting a few drops in her drinking water, and to get her interested in other things how about some live mealworms, or even a few worms from the garden if you can find them.  Keep her warm and give her time

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:13:03 pm »
poor girl... find her some friends Asap -though she might take a while to get used to them.
hope all goes well...
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:20:16 am »
Welcome. 

We had a hunt dog attack yesterday, lost one layer and another quite traumatised.  She appears to be recovering this morning.  Its a real downer when this happens. 

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »
Hello from north Wales.  I'm a bit late, sorry, but I hope your little hen's OK.   :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 06:55:42 pm »
It's a sickening thing to happen but a lesson learned. Electric poultry fencing or a fox/badger-proof run is needed or if foxes are a big nuisance let your local hunt know. They may only catch a few but they will disperse them a bit.
Good luck with your little hen and I hope you soon get some new mates for her.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:29:17 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders :wave: Hope you have managed to sort out your lonely hen
Anne

moorlander

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »
Hi there. sorry to hear about the fox. We have had the odd fox around here but so far one hasn't got through the fencing. There are also so many free ranging hens around my area that foxes don't have to look far for food.

I would agree with the above. Hens normally do not thrive alone. She will need some company sooner rather than later.
Why not try to get a few ex-batts who themselves are rather traumatised and they can all gain their self-esteem together?
As for the foxes, I do not know whether or not it is a farmer's yarn but I am assured they do not like the presence of dog or human urine. If you can arrange for the dog to oblige around the perimeter of teh run etc it might help deter the beasts. Otherwise it's down to physical protection and vigilance (though foxes don't conveniently appear when you are wating for them!).

every good wish and commisserations.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS