Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wayleave agreements  (Read 3672 times)


  • Joined Apr 2022
Wayleave agreements
« on: June 16, 2022, 01:09:41 pm »
I've just moved into our new home, in England, that comes with some land and need some advice regarding wayleave agreements. It was never brought during the purchase process and does not make reference in our title deeds.

I have what looks to be an overhead telephone wire, or maybe power cables, running over my land and there is one pole erected - see attached image. A local farmer said I should be entitled to an annual payment so I'd like to try confirm this if possible, and the value of such payment. Unfortunately because of the overgrowth I cannot see who owns the pole.

I've found a template here -] -  that I can fill out and send on but the big question is, should I send this to both the regional telephone and power companies?


  • Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 01:46:37 pm »
We have an electricity pylon on our land, much bigger than yours, and we get about £30 per year for it. there's a payment for the pylon, each stay supporting it, the wires coming off it etc. Not big money by any means.
Clear the undergrowth so you can see what yours is? I'd hazard a guess it's an old electricity pole by the connectors, but don't quote me on that.


  • Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 02:43:21 pm »
Looks like a 3 phase mains voltage supply to me- we have all over the place around here. The post may be past its best so when you do highlight it you may get a new concrete one? Here we are obliged to leave access for maintenance, so fences with gates- presume it's the same there?


  • Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 02:50:21 pm »
When we bought our place in Aberdeenshire there was a telegraph pole that the previous owner said we'd get a wayleave for.  It wasn't much per year so we agreed a one off fee for their permanent use of it.  I can't remember how much the commuted sum was but it was in pounds rather than hundreds.  we had to keep teh weeds round it under control so they had access at all times.  it was a right pain literally becasue it was in the middle of a nettle bed!  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age


  • Joined Aug 2014
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:02:13 pm »
I get a yearly cheque sent to my address from npower for some electricity poles.When I rang them and asked would they pay direct into my bank account they said they couldn't do that as it encourages fraud & insisted a cheque be sent to my address in the post.So you might get a cheque in the post....which is quite a novelty these days...


  • Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 04:00:13 pm »
Your land is of course 'arable' the quality of the land affects how much you might expect to receive.

The energy company with poles on my land had been naughty and added stays without offering to pay for them. I think the difference was single figures per year, but it was more the principle of the thing.

They wouldn't take my word for it though, even though they had made the change I think they withheld changing the agreement until they had sent someone out to have a look.


  • Joined Jul 2020
  • North Devon
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 05:35:21 pm »
Don’t get too excited about the amount you are entitled to! I’ve just received my cheque from Western Power for 1 pole in the middle of a field £7.61 and a pole in a hedge £0.70! Oh and a strut or stay is £1.86! The hassle of paying in the cheque probably costs more! In exchange you have to allow access at all times……however wet it gets and whatever mess they make.

Rupert the bear

  • Joined Jun 2015
Re: Wayleave agreements
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 06:31:20 pm »
Well its an 11kv electricity pole , contact your local DNO ( electricity board  wayleave officer.


Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS