Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: safe wormers  (Read 3725 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
safe wormers
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:11:24 pm »
which wormers are suitable for when nannie is in kid?
thanks for any replys
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: safe wormers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:17:38 pm »
hi not sure about goats!!!!
i recently had to get some wormers for pigs, a little scared of buying direct from internet.... (why i don't know cos i use ebay!!) i local smallholder said he uses manor pharmacy . we rang the number and they gave us a freephone number to their vet. he was excellent. the stuff was delivered to the local pharmacy and was cheaper than on line!
manian
 :pig: :goat: :wave:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:18:30 am »
i would check with your vet its not worth the risk. it should not cost anything for advice.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:36 am »
Ivermectin based wormers are good, excellent in fact.  as a drench or pour on.

Panacur rarely works efficiently and is a waste of money.   Your Vet will 99% say Ivermectin.

I always use it and have done so for the last 30 years.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:55:46 pm »
Don't let the vet quote sheep dosages as goat dosages are higher.(Do they still have legal goat wormers in this country,last I heard Crapercure was the only one liscenced for goats...so much for changing your wormer types rvery year in rotation! ;) )

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:01:15 pm »
You do need to ask the vet as there are no licenced goat wormers!. He will give you a sheep wormer and a dosage.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:10:37 pm »
If you have done a worm count (maybe include fluke if it is a problem in your area) your vet will advise at to the type of wormer. I have used panacur (the only one that can be used during lactation at all) successfully, as your goats are probably quite young and will be goin gonto cean ground(?), it should be effective. For Panacur the goats dose is 1.7 x the sheep dose, measure your goats weight/girth, I had added a table with the data somewhere ealrier in the goat section. Panacur is cheap to buy from the feed merchant.

But only worm the goats if necessary!!!! (If her droppings are normal there are probbaby no worms in her either!!!).

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:53:10 pm »
Worms are normally held at bay during pregnancy by the changes in the goat's body. I don't know all the science behind it, but it's how we treat ours on my mother's guidance, and she is a qualified vet. What is important is to worm within 2 weeks of them kidding, and then again about 3-4 after they have been done the first time.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18:30 am »
.beth you are a * ( thats a star by the way ! )
well if thats what you go by i think i shall go by that, since you have lots of experience and your mom been a vet.
thanks langdon :goat:

Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS