Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing sexes  (Read 2012 times)

chickenspigsstuff

• Joined Jun 2022
Mixing sexes
« on: June 13, 2022, 04:50:01 pm »
Hi, looking for a quick bit of advice.
Due to poor planning I have found myself with 2 boars and 1 gilt. They are Pietrains and as far as I am aware siblings.
We normally keep the pigs for around 6 months and then send them off to slaughter for the freezer.
I can't find any information on the risks of 1) siblings getting pregnant and 2) if she is, and I send her off to the abattoir, am I going to get into trouble if she is past a certain date.
Advice on likely maturity dates seems to vary quite a lot as well. I believe pig gestation is 3 months & 3 weeks?
Hopefully it is unlikely she gets pregnant and we can just send them a little earlier than normal. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do. Is it mad to keep them all together? Is there a deadline I should cull her? Are they very unlikely to get pregnant anyway?
Many thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:59:09 pm by chickenspigsstuff »

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Mixing sexes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 10:36:44 pm »
We've kept various combinations of weaners over the years and have had no problems with mixed sex groups. Boys have not mounted girls and we've never been told by the abattoir that any females were pregnant at time of slaughter. The most "fighting" we've experienced has been with an all male group with not a girl in sight.
I would think that if you send them off promptly at 26 weeks then the risk of pregnancy is quite low.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Mixing sexes
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 07:33:24 am »
I used to have Pietrain X weaners, perfect on a saddleback as they came out leaner. I sent mine off always before 6 months understand about mixing the sexes. The only problem we had when like that was they would scrap and sometimes nastily, blood and pigs don't mix. It's amazing how spiteful a pig can be to its siblings, yet when they are all boars, never had this problem (the last 4 were all boars and turned on the sheep and the cattle, but not each other! Enjoyed eating those little blighters at 5 month!)
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS