Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rabbits!!!  (Read 1574 times)

marjories wee acres

• Joined Feb 2013
rabbits!!!
« on: June 13, 2022, 01:29:19 pm »
Help! We are overrun with rabbits - its gone past the cute little bunny phase. We have so many they are destroying pasture and I'm concerned my ponies or sheep may put a foot in a burrow. Daisy, our jack russell ,tries her best in catching some but now I worry she will go down a burrow. Is there no humane deterrant other than shooting ?(we are near a very busy road)- we have a burn through our land and that doesnt deter them,we also have a regular fox and badger who come through too. Thanks for reading.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: rabbits!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 01:45:08 pm »
Have you got a local ferreter?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 01:52:12 pm »
Same problem. We have a shooter coming out this week.

marjories wee acres

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 05:49:59 pm »
We have a shooter but concerned how close we are to the main road. I will ask about  ferreter perhaps our lad with the gun will know - he used to have ferrets.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 06:41:11 pm »
I think all you can do is treat them like a crop.  Anyone with a gun must know to watch their field of fire so would not aim towards a road or pathway. Make sure you keep all dogs shut out of the way while shooting is going on.  If someone can work them with ferrets that is better as no-one has to pick bits of shot out of their dinner  :bunny:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 06:55:55 pm »
Rabbits are best shot with a .22 silenced pneumatic air rifle. Shotguns should not be employed because of the noise and shot fallout. Had a friend in England used to shoot problem rabbit populations and could take 20 a day with his rifle because the rabbits were never disturbed. He just lay down near their favourite sun/ browsing spot and picked them off as they came.

marjories wee acres

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 07:31:45 pm »
Thank you will chat to our "shooter"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS