Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pond plants to clear water  (Read 4052 times)

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
Pond plants to clear water
« on: June 04, 2022, 07:15:06 am »
We have a natural pond which our ducks use, the pond words as a spill way so the water is changed as it rains. As the pond is built in clay, and the fact the ducks use it, the water is a bit murky. Does anyone have any recommendation for plants that can help clear up the water and that the ducks wont demolish? I can build a pond filter but I was trying to avoid relying on electricity to move the water

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Pond plants to clear water
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 08:09:13 am »
Apparently if you put a bale of barley straw in - I guess in a net or similar and anchored to the side - then that clears the water. Not sure how it works but my brother used to do that for his duck pond.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 09:37:10 am »
Thanks, I can see how that would work as a kind of make shift filter

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 09:49:43 am »
Apparently if you put a bale of barley straw in - I guess in a net or similar and anchored to the side - then that clears the water. Not sure how it works but my brother used to do that for his duck pond.
Yes it works for all ponds
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 04:42:07 pm »
The classic one is to plant a reed bed, if the pond is big enough.  Reed beds are used to clean water full of human sewage so it should work for a few ducks.  The more usual plants recommended for ponds are oxygenators but that's not really what you are asking.  Another method is to turn your pond into a carp pond as they clean up the floor of everything that settles down there, but you would then also need oxygenating plants. If you want to eat the fish later then you need to keep them in fresh running water for a few days or they taste of  :poo: :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 05:38:24 pm »
For reasons I just cannot recall, I seem to think straw pond-clear bundles have been "banned".  Did I dream that or am I right (and/or was it an EU thing perhaps) ???

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 05:55:12 pm »
problem with plants is the ducks would need to be kept off said pond for a while or they will eat them

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 07:02:16 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'm thinking a physical filter might be the way to go then. I'm wondering how long I could keep one going on a large diameter siphon

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 12:33:22 am »
For reasons I just cannot recall, I seem to think straw pond-clear bundles have been "banned".  Did I dream that or am I right (and/or was it an EU thing perhaps) ???

They've been banned in our pond because the bag burst and we've been fishing bits of decomposing straw out for months!  Maybe the vibes of Mr F's wrath reached you in the land of my Grandfather  :sunshine:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 10:55:00 am »
Well barley straw bundles are still on sale commercially. so I don't think they are banned, nor can see any reason why they should be.  :thinking:   Apart from which - who's to know?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 02:40:14 pm »
Perhaps it's that the straw needs to have been grown organically ie without chemicals such as those used to dry it standing.  Any chemicals would kill off fish and any aquatic wildlife.  So more of a proviso than a ban

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 03:52:09 pm »
I wasn't dreaming:  a Practical Fishkeeping link below (date unknown). In absence of further research on the matter, I'm guessing EU bureaucrats were advised to get back in their box or that Brexit meant that barley-straw pond-bales didn't need to be certified after-all.  (To note there are folk who would advise that "pond straw bales" don't actually do much !  I don't have a pond so I'm not bothering to check out that contra-assessment.)
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/fishkeeping-news/barley-straw-and-barley-straw-extract-face-ban-from-sale-in-uk
[It's all a bit like Armillitox for honey fungus:  I don't actually know whether is was an effective treatment for honey fungus, but the EU did not approve/certify its use as an HF treatment.  You could still buy it though, but only as a "general garden disinfectant".  Whether Brexit has changed that, I wouldn't know.]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 05:18:44 pm by arobwk »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 12:35:05 pm »
I wasn't dreaming:  a Practical Fishkeeping link below (date unknown). In absence of further research on the matter, I'm guessing EU bureaucrats were advised to get back in their box or that Brexit meant that barley-straw pond-bales didn't need to be certified after-all.  (To note there are folk who would advise that "pond straw bales" don't actually do much !  I don't have a pond so I'm not bothering to check out that contra-assessment.)
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/fishkeeping-news/barley-straw-and-barley-straw-extract-face-ban-from-sale-in-uk
[It's all a bit like Armillitox for honey fungus:  I don't actually know whether is was an effective treatment for honey fungus, but the EU did not approve/certify its use as an HF treatment.  You could still buy it though, but only as a "general garden disinfectant".  Whether Brexit has changed that, I wouldn't know.]
So not banned and also laughed out of court by the Fishkeepers Association! 
And by me!

I've used it very effectively in different sizes of pond, both running water and still water, both with and without fish, and it works!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 06:03:31 pm »
Have a look on Youtube. I am sure there were plenty of ideas when I was looking for my wee pond. Iuse solar power to work our filter.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 08:33:47 am »
Have a look on Youtube. I am sure there were plenty of ideas when I was looking for my wee pond. I use solar power to work our filter.
A solar power filter/fountain is good but not a floating one that I tried - ducks attacked and killed it in minutes  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS