Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: men in white coats(scientists)  (Read 6810 times)

robert waddell

men in white coats(scientists)
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:13 pm »
when was the last time you heard of global warming? from these numpties that control and approve what is best for us in their opinion while taking the Queens shilling so to speak  as i look out the window at 2 feet of snow similar to last year

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Re: men in white coats(scientists)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »
I'm not quite following this ... are you trying to suggest that the current snow and temperature proves we don't have global warming?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:00 pm »
'snot very warm  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:59 pm »
I'm not quite following this ... are you trying to suggest that the current snow and temperature proves we don't have global warming?
Do you have another theory, Calum?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:56:24 pm »
Only the one that climate change scientists actually use. Global warming does not mean we're all going to be sipping cocktails from coconut shells, it means the average temperature across the globe through the year will rise by a tiny amount. Locally, this will result in some places becoming hotter and some colder. The position Scotland holds on the Globe should naturally see us with summer temperatures in the mid-30c region with far far more snow and colder temperatures through the winter - like New York State. The only reason we don't is down to the Gulf Stream bringing warmer tropical waters up from South America which affects atmospheric pressures and alters our position-estimated weather patterns. As the ice caps reduce and colder currents reach further south, those will interfere with the Gulf Stream, reducing the isolating effect it has on us and resulting in averagely warmer but wet summers (as we had this year) and increasingly colder winters with more snow over a longer period of time (as we experienced early this year and may be at the start of again).

Frankly, we're witnessing precisely what has been predicted on the back of global warming.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:06:32 pm »

Frankly, we're witnessing precisely what has been predicted on the back of global warming.

I agree, most of the predictions of the effect of global warming state that we will have warmer but wetter summers & much colder winters.

It doesn't actually matter whether human activities have caused a change in world temperatures or whether it has happened naturally as part of a gradual climate change - the effect is the same.  What we have to do is find ways of minimising the effect, not looking for scapegoats.

John

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 09:16:10 pm »
Yes, I have to agree with the last two posts.  In fact (and I think I posted this a few weeks ago) some scientists are of the opinion that we are now entering a cold phase similar to that of the 'Little Ice Age' (circa 1350 - circa 1850) which is predicted to last for the next 30 years resulting in winters such as this and a shortening of the growing season!  Worrying isn't it?? ???

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »
What we have to do is find ways of minimising the effect, not looking for scapegoats.
Spot on John. Our Governments are obsessed with blaming everyone, the media with distorting what climate change scientists actually say so the average person doesn't have a clue what the term means while those much maligned climate change scientists just want to work out why things happen and model the effect different options might provide.

Climate change is occurring, it always has and always will, it's just a natural part of the orbit our funky little rock takes around the sun. There's still a question on whether our lifestyles are responsible for the current situation or not and if so, how much they're responsible and how much is just poor timing. Regardless, it is happening and refusing to accept it won't change that - equally it's unlikely to be disasterous, for Scotland at least, but we need to learn to adjust and adapt.

I wonder ... this is possibly where more traditional breeds of some livestock, bred for being hardy and living off poor quality ground, might be a benefit long term. Any thoughts on traditional breeds vs modern breeds aimed at maximising produce production?

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »
Yes, I have to agree with the last two posts.  In fact (and I think I posted this a few weeks ago) some scientists are of the opinion that we are now entering a cold phase similar to that of the 'Little Ice Age' (circa 1350 - circa 1850) which is predicted to last for the next 30 years resulting in winters such as this and a shortening of the growing season!  Worrying isn't it?? ???
I've only vaguely heard of that one - looks like I need to update my knowledge. I don't suppose you have any reliable links for information? I really can't be bothered fighting the swarms of media dribble on the subject if I search for myself!

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:05 am »
Awe  >:(

I have to apologize I miss interpreted the thread header and entered into a different than expected thread  ::)

I was so excited  :) the last lot of men in white coats weren't scientists, but very nice people they gave me my own window to lick and everything, well the voices are telling me to move on  ::) Bloody snowing here by the way and my tongue has stuck to the window. The missus has been starring through the window ever since the snow started, if it gets much worse I'm going to have to let her in  ;D

Sorry light hearted moment, forgive me  :-[ ;)  :love: :wave:

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 11:45:42 am »
Hiya cmorrell, my info was mainly from reading books on the subject - best one is 'Frozen Britain', can't remember author's name - its been lent out to someone, so its not to hand at the moment.  If you type it in on Amazon it will be one of the first to come up because it was only published this year.  This book is a bit 'OTT' with its predictions on what will happen to this country as a result of the severe winters, but the science is very much up to date and in agreement with predictions made by serious experts on climatology and paleoclimatology like the late H.H. Lamb. Similar weather predictions are made in 'A Rough Guide to Climate Change' by Robert Henson and here's a quote from Brian Fagan's highly readable book, 'The Little Ice Age' with regard to future climate changes..."...a pulse of fresh water would float atop the dense, salty Gulf Stream....forming a temporary 'lid' that would effectively prevent the Gulf Stream water from cooling and sinking.  A sea ice cap could form in short order, preventing the Gulf Stream from starting up again, and trigger an intensely cold regimen in Europe within perhaps a few years [this book was written in 2000].  No  one can predict how long such cold snap would last". Just about sums it up really.  I have found plenty online, but can't recall the websites.  Hope this helps and sorry its so long. :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:03:29 pm »
Only the one that climate change scientists actually use. Global warming does not mean we're all going to be sipping cocktails from coconut shells, it means the average temperature across the globe through the year will rise by a tiny amount. Locally, this will result in some places becoming hotter and some colder. The position Scotland holds on the Globe should naturally see us with summer temperatures in the mid-30c region with far far more snow and colder temperatures through the winter - like New York State. The only reason we don't is down to the Gulf Stream bringing warmer tropical waters up from South America which affects atmospheric pressures and alters our position-estimated weather patterns. As the ice caps reduce and colder currents reach further south, those will interfere with the Gulf Stream, reducing the isolating effect it has on us and resulting in averagely warmer but wet summers (as we had this year) and increasingly colder winters with more snow over a longer period of time (as we experienced early this year and may be at the start of again).

Sorry I asked ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »
I think I should have been born an ostrich ;) :-[

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »
some very heavy reading cobra,s reply brought a moment of hilarity  my understanding of global warming was warmer winters and hot dry summers a the summer of 76 just in my prime before i was poisoned with organophosphate chlorine(nerve gas in ww1) and artificial sweeteners

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:59:11 pm »
I think I should have been born an ostrich ;) :-[
You'd get a cold bottom in this weather!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS