Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding swallows?  (Read 3395 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Feeding swallows?
« on: May 11, 2022, 11:34:38 am »
Some time ago, (I've searched but can't seem to find the item), someone suggested a way to feed swallows, ours have returned, but weather has turned colder, doesn't seem to be many insects about.
Anyone remember?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Feeding swallows?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 01:24:01 pm »
I can't find it either, but I bought dried ,mealworms from Chubby Mealworms

https://www.chubbymealworms.co.uk/collections/all/products/1kg-dried-mealworms) last year, was for my hems then discovered it was illegal to feed hens mealworms.

I put them out on my wild bird feeder and they went daft for them.  Could you do that?  Other birds might get them too, but if you put out enough they'd all get a share.  They're not terribly expensive, 0ne kilogramme for about £15
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 01:37:11 pm »
Mealworms do need to be soaked so when the adults cram them down the nestlings' throats they don't scratch and tear.
I think it could be a thread where I had seen swallows on my bird table but I didn't think they took food that wasn't flying around.  I can't remember what else was said  :dunce:
Swallows need mud to make their nests. I was just starting to get worried about how dry it was here and wondering how to give them mud, but it's ok now  :gloomy: :raining: ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 02:28:02 pm »
Hadn't thought of that J - will soak any I put out from now on - was just going to do that as it's a beautiful day here today  :sunshine:  A tad cold, but warming up now
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 07:18:42 pm »

a couple of years back some of our late departing youngsters were fed on mealworm pate, made quite sloppy , it took them a couple of days to work it out. A case of very little and very often

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS