Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bit worried, probably needlessly!  (Read 4535 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Bit worried, probably needlessly!
« on: December 01, 2010, 04:22:06 pm »
My goats aren't spending as much time in their shed as I thought they would during this snowy spell. Now, we do not have it anything as bad as those of you in scotland, east mids, se england but we have a couple of inches and a sharp wind.
at 7am I went out to fill the hay up and give the water trough a smash and top up with warm water and they were already out, chewing cud laying on the fallen hay from their hay box/rack. don't know if they have been out all night?!

the shed door has a lever so it shuts itself and they can let themselves in and out which they do quite happily.
the floor is lined with a deep bedding and you can feel the warm as you go in.

am I just being over cautious perhaps?! they are saanenX and ToggX (not sure what they were crossed with) coat is fairly short but getting a bit of a shaggy bit along the spines of the pair of them.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: Bit worried, probably needlessly!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:29:58 pm »
I wouldn't worry. They were no doubt lying out of the wind. Their coats will have thickened up underneath the top layer. Just keep an eye, as you will anyway! :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
Thanks Katie  :)  do you think we'll get anymore snow here? we've been fairly lucky really but tomorrow school have asked us to shovel snow from the playground at 3.30pm ready for the xmas fete!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »
I was talking to the farmer who bred our Wiltshire Horns and he reckons that we will have heavy snow on Saturday. Oh joy! Good job we had a hay delivery just before all this kicked off - the team are munching away like mad!

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »
PS Have you been to Countrywide today for the Farmer Event? 10% off everything. We're going later - they have a pork roast and you meet everyone you've ever met from round here!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:55:49 pm »
If they are cold, they will go in I'm sure.

my hairy billy boy prefers to be out most of the year, but has decidied to sleep in now.

Our girl rabbits escaped on Saturday and had a whale of a time running round in the snow!  If they tried today, they'd have never got out...
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »
was in countrywide this morning! bought loads of xmas pressies and some straw (can't find bales of it anywhere at the moment and even vale had run out) had I known about pig roasts I'd have left the plum wine alone *(need a little one to warm me up) and been able to drive there for tea!

Sure you are right Little Blue, I think its me being daft - first year having goats and have lost 2 already  :-\

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 05:49:42 pm »
dont worry... when I went out (reluctantly!) earlier, I had to go and poke one of the ducks in case she had frozen to death by the fence. It looked like it...but she was fine    Why won't they go inside, stupid things!
Little Blue

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 06:09:09 pm »
I didn't know CW did straw! We got ours from a neighbour this year - last year from Pebworth - I think the farmers name is Greenaway or something appropriate! There's also that farm on the left just before you get to Pershore that does hay and straw.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »
have seen that one on the way to pershore. might try them. CW only do the big bags, not proper bales so its just cost me a small chinese takeaway to fill the goat shed with more straw! wonder if Ben across the road from me has any straw? went to visit him the other day, should have driven, didn't realise how long his drive was!!  ;D

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:32:01 pm »
He buys it in. He'd be able to tell you where to get some, though. Bless himm! Haven't seen his little woolly hat for ages!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »
I wouldn't get mine outside at all in this snow I think, even if I let them..., although only half of them would show above the snow!!! But at least I don't have white goats - you could loose those in this weather!!!!

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:26:01 pm »
If they have made their choice to go out earlier than you thought it was because they wanted to. If they were cold they would go back in. As long as they can get in and out easily, trust their judgement. It is hard when you have lost livestock, but I think we all have, and it does knock your confidence. My goats like being inside, whereas a friend from my village also has goats, but his are always out, even in the rain. Have you had anymore snow? We have had non stop snow for about 36 hours and measures about 20 inches not including the stuff thats drifting. its boring now so much extra work.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 11:32:25 am »
20 inches!! no we've nothing like that, just the odd dusting now. 3 of my girls have gone on the school bus to see beauty and the beast in the cotswolds and being paranoid mother I did worry a bit but the roads seem ok.

;D  Anke, one of mine used to be white (the one inthe profile pic with my 3 year old) but she's gone dark grey for winter luckily!

LOL Ben's woolly hat - he was wearing it the other day when we went to see him, bless him. lovely man  :) 

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 01:01:09 pm »
I'd think there was something wrong with my lot if they were inside!
   I was going to mention Greenaways he does haylage too.Just whip across the Pebworth crossroads and he's just up there on the right opposite the row of houses

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS