Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig watering nipples  (Read 2769 times)

desmondthecamel

• Joined May 2022
Pig watering nipples
« on: May 03, 2022, 04:40:46 pm »
 :pig:

Hi - I'm new to both pig keeping and this website.

I started with 4 Tamworth weaners, 2 of which are now sitting in the freezer having been finished to pork weight. The other 2 I am taking up to bacon weight. They have now reached a size where they flip their water bowl out of its tyre as a pastime. I have tapped a large beer barrel and inserted drinking nipples, but they are reluctant to use them. I've adjsted the flow to maximum and coated them in peanut butter which was licked off with relish. Still not keen to drink though. The barrel was thoroughly cleaned and the water is fresh. Any suggestions?

Also, suggested weight to finish Tamworths for bacon?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Pig watering nipples
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:24:15 pm »
Welcome to TAS. I' afraid I don't have any experience of this but I'm sure there was a discussion about it a year or two ago. If you click on "Search" (underneath the Fruit section) you may find what you are looking for.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Pig watering nipples
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 07:47:21 pm »
I used the water nipples on my previous farm. We had both water troughs and tanks with nipples. Some pigs never had used the nipples before and so had to be taught about them. I've found that you have to stand and 'teach/train' the pigs to use the nipples as they are used to drinking from a water trough. This can take some time though. But patience and perseverance is the key.

Putting peanut butter on the nipples imho is a waste of time. They need to see and hear the water coming from the nipples to know what it is for.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS