Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stone Age boar  (Read 2133 times)

mundole1@btinternet.com

• Joined May 2022
Stone Age boar
« on: May 02, 2022, 06:12:22 pm »
Interested to hear opinion that says Stone Age boars are a danger. I have a 2yo Stone Age boar that is friendly and good to deal with ie I rake the edges under electric fences in his field regularly or do repairs to his shelter and he is never confrontational or any kind of nuisance. I have had him since a weaner so I am sure that helps. I have a friend who wants to buy him and I’m wondering what to charge for him. He has fathered 8 litters with my 4 sows Tamworth xs. All healthy litters of 6x3, 8, 10 and latest litter of 12. I also have 6 eight month old piglets for sale and 5 weaners if anyone interested. I can send pictures by wattsapp. Morayshire, Scotland.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Stone Age boar
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 06:46:42 pm »
Any boar (or sow for that matter) can be dangerous. It's learning to tell the signs of stress/anxiety, handling them correctly and planning work and routes around them, always giving yourself an escape route

Example i can give from this week alone. I have been working with a boar for the last 6 weeks. He's always been ok around us when moving him and using him for AI. But two days ago he turned aggressive then bit and subsequently broke the handling safety board i was holding. He was also aggressive to the other person with me. Totally out of the blue. I don't give second chances so he is going for cull. To big and fast to mess with. Safety is paramount.

Personally I would get your friend to meet him and spend some quality time with him before letting him go.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:48:15 pm by alang »
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS