Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plant id please!  (Read 9968 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Plant id please!
« on: April 27, 2022, 04:10:47 pm »
Flowering now, probably arrived either in a wild flower mix, or from spare seed used in the microgreens business on site. 

Mainly am just interested but also, some surprising things are toxic to horses, so it's as well to know! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Plant id please!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 04:36:31 pm »
Well, it's a brassica of some sort. I thought it was Charlock but the leaves look wrong from this distance and it's not out up here but could be out in your southern climes . Not rape. It looks more like a garden brassica gone wild. Are the leaves hairy? Need a closer photo really to be sure. So probably a salad that's made a breakaway.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 04:39:19 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 04:59:06 pm »
Russian Red kale? Not quite close enough to see the leaf shape.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 05:40:41 pm »
Yes, I think a brassica of some kind too.  So there is a possibility of toxicity to equines.  (It's not in a paddock or meadow, it's in the camping field, which we no longer graze.  But it's good to know if we need to react if it appears elsewhere...)

I suspect therefore it's a microgreens plant, so I can possibly get a list from them of what they used last year.  Russian red kale sounds like the sort of thing they may well have grown.

Does this closer up pic help?  (i took higher res pics but resolutiion has to be reduced for uploading to the forum.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 05:50:05 pm »
Now I've looked up charlock, I think Fleecewife may well be right.  (In which case the seedpods would be toxic to livestock but the rest of the plant is okay.)

Updated to say that further reading suggests the leaves are not right for charlock, which is a relief as apparently charlock is (a) very invasive, or can be, and (b) can in fact be toxic to horses in any quantity.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:54:31 pm by SallyintNorth »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 08:54:56 pm »
Well it doesn't seem to have set seed yet, so I would just take it out, root and all, and if you are unsure would just burn it... If there are no others nearby, it should just be an individual rogue arrival.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 12:09:43 am »
Yes the leaves are too coarse and hairy for Charlock and broccoli or kale.  More like a radish but radish flowers are not yellow. I agree that you might as well pull it - most brassicas are easy to pull out at that size - just to be safe with the horses.
See if the leaf matches anything the micro greens growers recognise.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 08:28:21 am »
This isn't a one-off rogue, there is a ring of them - sown deliberately - in amongst cherry trees in the middle of the camp field, where there is a sitting area with picnic benches for the campers to use.  As we don't graze that field any more, it's more being aware if we get another, which is a rogue, appear elsewhere, and where livestock might get at it.

The chap who sowed them assumed that either they were from wild flower mixes we've used elsewhere on the farm (having checked they didn't include anything toxic to livestock before we bought them), or that they'd be okay because they must be microgreens' seeds, and all those plants are, by definition, edible...  No comprehension that something which is edible for humans, in small quantities at the cotyledon stage, could be toxic to livestock when grown on to an adult plant....   

It can be very stressful at times, living amongst non-farming folk...  (Although actually the chap in question grew up on a farm in Australia...)   The benefits of community living do hugely, for ageing single me, outweigh the frustrations, but there are certainly plenty of frustrations...   ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 09:43:38 am »
TBH, I am certain that any brassica/kale plant in my goat field would never get past the "micro"stage...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 10:08:47 am »
TBH, I am certain that any brassica/kale plant in my goat field would never get past the "micro"stage...

:roflanim:

Same for ponies' field, lol.  But we move 'em around...  usually onto grass cropped short by the sheep, mind. 

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 03:45:10 pm »
Are you sure it's not rape? Looks very similar ....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 03:59:02 pm »
Yeah, definitely not rape.  Rape stems and leaves are much paler - grey/green, where this is quite a deep green, and this one has a deep reddish tinge to the stems.  Yes the flowers are similar.

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 10:32:26 am »
I noticed something similar whislt out walking the dog and in my case I think the plant I found is yellow rocketcress. Maybe yours is too.

Edited to add. I think that's the American name, in this country it would be known as common wintercress (Barbarea vulgaris).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:37:45 am by Glencairn »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 03:22:17 pm »
I can see the resemblance but I think not.  Will get some more pics, these plants are now more than 3' tall...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS