Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows 2022  (Read 23427 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Swallows 2022
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2022, 10:13:59 am »
I have a stable type door where I let the goats out, opened the top this morning, stood for just a moment looking out, slight flash as a swallow whizzed passed my head, inches from my ear, im used to them whizzing overhead, but not so low or close. :o
,They do have a regular access above a big door, but I suppose my door is a much bigger opening for them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 05:14:18 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2022, 12:31:04 pm »
Phb, I'm the worst worrier, but some things are pointless to worry about.  What will be will be. Unless you ring the swallows you will never know which ones come back.  All you can do is to enjoy the ones that you can then wave goodbye when they leave and wish them goodspeed.  I tend to worry when they come back in spring, following the weather forecasts avidly. I think that comes from osprey watching (the female osprey at Loch Arkaig didn't return to her nest and mate last year  :( ).  I tend to imagine the ospreys and swallows travel together but of course they don't  ::)
Enjoy the new hatchlings until they go  :sunshine: :wave:
Ooooh I dont know about that, the  red rumped swallows are quite unique , especially the females , as to the others , I'm sure there are some that stand out from the others especially those  upon arrival will  know where the mealworm pate is left !
Well I like to think so.
I think the bulk of ours will leave in the next three or four days, still a few younger ones still, especially "dopey" whose idea of getting a drink is to bellyflop in to the water !

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2022, 09:05:37 am »
Ours still swooping about, but not roosting in the goat shed anymore. At least I haven't seen them in their usual spots anymore. Thinking they will go within a week now... but I got my chimney swept yesterday, there is loads of firewood (though sadly had to be bought in) and I am looking forward to autumn and winter... I need a rest!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2022, 08:33:35 pm »
Just after breakfast ( 7am ) it just went quiet, they were off, I waited outside all day ,just a few young ones about.
This evening I did my usual walkround , There are 11 stragglers 3 adults and 8 juveniles left here.
I dont think they will stay long either.
Another summer over  :'(

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2022, 10:08:43 am »
Ours started gathering a week ago and have nearly all gone now. Saw a couple yesterday but none on the morning walk today.

On the plus side, the winter starlings have started to arrive. Good to hear their cheerful chattering on the telephone wires. :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2022, 07:08:39 am »

Swallows gone ...... S.A.D  arrives    :(
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2022, 03:17:55 pm »
I've just been to see a friend near Warminster, Wiltshire and saw quite a few flying around. Perhaps they are from further north and en-route to Africa?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2022, 05:46:02 pm »
I've just been to see a friend near Warminster, Wiltshire and saw quite a few flying around. Perhaps they are from further north and en-route to Africa?

Almost certainly.  It's like the ospreys from the North hang around reservoirs and lakes in the south of England stuffing themselves with fish before they launch out on their long migration.

Our last lonesome swallow left yesterday morning so it could include him  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2022, 06:15:00 pm »
Well they're still here (west Wales) this evening - but it can't be long now .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2022, 08:34:24 pm »
Ours are gone... sometime last week...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2022, 01:10:37 am »
Our babies first outdoor flights yesterday, they normally spend a few days flying round inside the barn. Learning to balance on rafters, parents have got them outside quicker than normal.
Walking to barn yesterday there was a flutter and a young swallow landed on some wood just in front of me, waist height, I could have reached out and touched it, I hurriedly backed away, it flew up to barn roof, but we got the cat into the house, just in case..
Back in barn this morning, parents were feeding them on top of the big door. 4 youngsters all demanding brekkie 😊.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2022, 01:25:43 pm »
Saw quite a few flying over the wetlands this morning. Perhaps they are yours, Peninehillbilly?

In fact, there were masses of birds on the moor this morning. A flock of greenfinches, lots of goldfinches feeding on seed heads, reed buntings and a family of skylarks. Makes you glad to be alive!  :)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2022, 05:32:40 pm »
The last of the stragglers are away, I spent the morning with the wire broom removing the droppings from the steading, workshop, garage and tack room.
All the sweeping on to the composter.
All now just happy memories.
I hope I last long enough to see them return, I have left the nests where they are as many got reused this year.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2022, 09:23:34 pm »
Well, looks like my little family has flown the nest, nothing Friday night, last night (Sat), there was something in the nest, (its very high up, under roof ridge) but nothing tonight.
Fly safely little ones.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2022, 12:41:51 am »
The last of the stragglers are away, I spent the morning with the wire broom removing the droppings from the steading, workshop, garage and tack room.
All the sweeping on to the composter.
All now just happy memories.
I hope I last long enough to see them return, I have left the nests where they are as many got reused this year.

We all hope you last long enough to see the swallows return too RtB. Stay safe  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS