Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for really rough building costs  (Read 2617 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Looking for really rough building costs
« on: April 18, 2022, 10:12:12 am »
Hi folks,

Some friends of ours are looking at converting a stone outbuilding into a house, and I said the good people of TAS might be able to help with some *really* rough costings.

I'm looking for broad brush statements here that we can build into a big picture estimate. For example:

"We installed a pellet boiler system for a four bedroom house in 2015, at a cost of £11K"

"The total bill for re-wiring our three bedroom house in 2018 was £10K"
"We just bought a front door which cost £1200 including fitting" - that sort of thing.

Off the top of my head, we're needing budget costs for:

• Architect's design and planning
  • New roof on outbuilding, 15m x 6m. Assume wooden trusses, sarking and reclaimed slates
  • All interior fit-out (from floors, wiring, plumbing and drywall through to decoration)
  • New windows
  • New doors
  • Central heating
  • Borehole
  • Septic tank or mini sewage treatment plant
  • Caravan to live in whilst work is done
  • Resurfacing farm track
  • Moving fences back to create visibility splay at junction (a condition of planning)
To reiterate, this is really broad brush stuff, just to see if our friends are nuts to be even considering this. Thanks in advance!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Looking for really rough building costs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 12:32:45 pm »
Some friends of mine did an old single story shed into a dwelling. Three single bedrooms, plus master with en-suite. bathroom, large kitchen/living space. Think she said it cost £140k. This was Roof, redo some walls, masses of insulation, Septics, Windows, exterior doors, wiring, plumbing, concrete disabled car parking and access. Plaster board walls. Air source heat pump. They needed another 30k odd for the builders/joiners to do the finishing, internal doors, skirting boards, tiling, painting, flooring, But ran out of money so doing that themselves. Sorry none is your list, but may help your friends a tiny bit?

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 05:32:30 pm »
mini water treatment plant with 9 person use capacity was £16k plus VAT I think.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 09:06:15 pm »
Building materials have risen in cost so unless someone has had recent work done your friends are likely to find themselves under budgeting. I would of thought getting quotes would be more realistic.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 10:06:38 pm »
That's absolutely true, Harmony. However,  right now we're looking for quick and dirty, without having to chase round specs and suppliers. Don't worry, there will be a healthy dose of contingency and chin scratching added for good measure.

Thanks for the comments so far - this is exactly the sort of thing I wanted.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 09:33:17 am »
I built a large four bedroomed bungalow in Aberdeenshire in 2005 for £147000

The plot had been landlocked by our own tracks so we got it for £1600

We chopped our land into two pieces and the 10 acres of fields and a burn with the newbuild, along with the 2 fifths acre plot in garden went with the new house

Sold it in 2008 for £310000 - to horsey people

Now they've had it valued at £450000 to assess the divorce settlement  :innocent:

When I built the new house I rented a cottage 20 mins away(£160 a month but 17 years ago) - was a mistake - should have stayed on site in my wee holiday caravan and saved £1000 for the 6 months build.  It was cosier than the old cottage

I moved here 2 and a half years ago and renovated - didn't need planning, but got architect for retrospective on improvements to previous house - minimum was £750

Moving fences back to create visibility splay at junction (a condition of planning) New fence here about 300 metres - horizontal hit and miss sarking boards, cost £2500 2 and a half years ago

Approx. figures - New kitchen £7500, electric improvements and new consumer unit £2000,  bathroom £4000, ensuite £3500, flooring all through £4000,  loft insulation £600,  emptying septic tank £200, redecorating £1500, picket fence to separate a garden at the back door from the rest of the field £600, putting up hen run £250(already had the weldmesh and chicken wire, new furnishings £3500, storage shed £750, 4 new radiators £4000, service gas boiler £300, new locks £250, drain wet ground £3000(springs on land)

New windows SRJ windows (who give discounts for introductions) £8000 for 8 windows -  1 large, 4 medium 3 bathroom size, plus sliding patio doors

I'm sure there were other things because I spent about £50K altogether :'(  Mind has obliterated it!

Edit - oh I remember - a Stiltz lift from the garage to the third bedroom(study) to future proof it as i become older and more infirm - £13000
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 10:01:23 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 06:43:02 pm »
We are just completing a 21m2 extension on our kitchen. Rough costs… flat roof kit £1200, first fix electrics £1200 (extension and existing kitchen made good), windows £3500- 1 kitchen window, French doors and stable back door. Labour about £25/hr per builder. Structural engineer report was about £800. The kitchen is a big chunk of £££ which you could get cheaper but it’s our dream kitchen.

When we were looking at quotes, our builders said £1500 per square metre was about right, for everything from foundations right to finished interior. Including Labour. They won’t far off to be fair. I think the whole build excluding kitchen is about 30k.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 06:57:08 pm »
I've just got quotes for supply and fit a upvc front and back door.(Including frame.)  Cheapest
  quote was £1,500 for both. Most were a lot more.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS