Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pedigree or not  (Read 4667 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
pedigree or not
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »
hi there i work on an arable unit i need a new hobby i brought on 6 foster lambs in the spring and really enjoyed it .i have a 5 acre field and shed i am looking for a bit of advice on whether to go down the pedigree route or not should i buy ewes in lamb cheers

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: pedigree or not
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »
Hello!  Welcome to the site.  Pedigree or not depends on what you want to do with them.  I'm sure there are plenty of differing views from contributors to this site with tonnes of experience.  I personally would like to keep pedigree stock, but have never managed to get around to it.  I don't eat any of mine, just sell them on as breeding stock.  If that's what you intend to do, then pedigree might be an option. You may well make more out of pedigree stock  - perhaps someone else out there can help out on that one!!!???

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »
thank you for my first reply like you i am not keen on eating my stock i would like to show them i am going to hopefully get advice and some help i am on the west side of edinburgh any volunteers

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:18:10 pm »
If you go for pedigree rare breeds, you will be doing a bit to help preserve our agricultural heritage. Downside is if you want to show, suitable classes might be limited.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »
Shetlands plenty of shows for them. Dalkeith, Royal Highland, Peebles, Fife east & west. Kinross. and lots more.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:15:03 am »
Hi Agri293 and welcome.
If you want a breed for showing then you must choose one which you find beautiful. Also if you are wanting to show at any worthwhile shows your stock needs to be registered and of good quality.  Whilst I agree that Shetlands are lovely, there are so many around that it is difficult to get placed at the shows, which can be disheartening. We went for Hebrideans, the rarer multi-horned variety.  We find them strikingly attractive, friendly, easy to handle and in need of breeders to conserve their rare genetics. My OH got a class going at the RHS so you could certainly show there - it's great fun with a good crowd. I am down near Biggar, not so far from you - pm me if you would like to.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:38:50 am »
If you want to show, then it has to be pedigree, but one thing I would say is that I have more problems with my pedigrees than with anything else, with the exception of my few remaining shouthdowns.

I have had or still have dorset downs, poll dorsets, south downs, lleyns, texels, suffolk crosses, jacobs, portlands, zwarbles and my new highlander (super dooper special sheep). 

I agree with fleecewife - you need ones you like and start from there.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:09:59 pm »
Yes Shetland sheep, good first time keepers sheep, thrifty, great mothers, taste fantastic, great wool comes in many colours and patterns. Club with many Scottish members and a very friendly bunch. Have a look at the web site,  Shetland Sheep Society. You are very welcome to come and have a look at my sheep if it would help you make your mind up as to which breed you like the look of. Just over the bridge Dunfermline area.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 08:14:04 pm »
You're also welcome to come and see my Ryelands or see www.rosedeanryelands.co.uk. We're just outside Carnoustie.

hairyhetty

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
i wish id bought reg sheep when i started 5 years bak. sold the offspring to owners saying they were unreg but they wud often fone me the next year to try and reg their lambs. shame cos they were pedigree but just not reg. same work regardless so when youv chosen breed try and get reg stock. it gives ram lambs a chance to live a bit longer as a breeding ram, and ewes alot easier to sell at good price. iv completely run my flock down and starting again from scratch with reg flock. small breeders can make a difference to rarebreeds if that interests you.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 05:34:51 pm »
We have a flock of pedigree Ryelands like Rosemary, they are lovely but as Fleevewife has said - you do need to find a sheep that you find beautiful, and there are some beautiful ones out there! As with HairyHetty, we bought some pedigree Ryelands and were unable to register them due to the sire not being registered, almost a year down the line we have nearly got them registered!
We haven't had any problems with our pedigree sheep, more with our cross bred flock - but then it is always more difficult to work with sheep that don't come to a bucket.
Rosemary is right about breed classes - sometimes you will be put in with rare or minority breeds if you have an uncommon breed of sheep, however shows like the Royal Cornwall will put up a class for a rare/minority breed if there are enough entrants - I think the Ryeland FBS are trying to do this next year.

Good luck with whatever you get!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS