Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are you ready?  (Read 4427 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Are you ready?
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:55:30 pm »
I was out looking after the animals. I had been checking our 'Rita' Tamworth sow, and told my garsún that I thought she was on the cusp of farrowing. Without hesitation, he reached down and expressed milk. 'You're right' he said, looking up at me. I just had to laugh out loud, i'm a city boy who came to the country after a bad motorcycle crash. Twelve years later, I still suffer from PTSd et al....but my first son was born a week and a half after the crash....now I have a lovely wife, four fine boys....and a few piggies to show for it. It sure beats being dead!

p.s. My oldest is a voracious reader who devoured all the pig keeping books I bought....so he knows what he's talking about!! Lol, i'm so darn proud! Gotta go check on the new arrivals....lots of little heads, but impossible to get a count without disturbing mum.....and in my experience, that ain't wise!

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: Are you ready?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:07:02 am »
Thats fantastic, makes you proud dosnet it  ;)

I was taken ill 7 years ago with meningitis, touch and go had two year old daughter and all I remembered was how I wouldn't see her grow up. I recovered from the meningitis but it opened the door for an incurable mitochondrial disease; I have a few animals now including pigs and share it all with my now 10 year old beutiful daughter: As you said better than dead, I get it 100%

I got back on me bike thank to NABD (National association for bikers with a disability) I'm now the local rep and was on the committee, bike rides are few and far between now but ten minutes out is a blessing.

I cant work anymore and time is precious; just enjoy and take every day with open arms and smell the air. Bless yeah  :)  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 08:41:45 am »
I wish I could bottle you both, you would inspire so many of us who may be having difficult times at present.   :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:47 am »
Hear hear!

Best wishes for 2011 guys.

:wave:  :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:05:58 am »
Well done you two! Too many moaners in this world who think that all they have in life is to wait for old age and death. Get out there and live, I say!!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »
Good on you, guys!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:36:11 pm »
Nine perfectly formed little buggers knocking around! My pigs are out all year round in insulated arcs....they laugh in the face of snow, Lol.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »

Thats fantastic will expect pictures. pleeeeeeeeeease!
Anne

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 07:47:52 pm »
Congratulations on the new arrivals  :lol:
Little Blue

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 01:35:52 am »
Nice job  :) Congratulations on the new arrivals, good job you have that young expert on board  ;D Yah pictures would be real cool  :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 02:08:45 am »
Lovely to hear this. Thanks.

You've cheered me up after a pretty crap day with an unexpected early farrowing (bought a gilt alreadh in pig and was working to Dec 1, according to the breeder). Four dead through hypothermia, and I could have saved them if I'd stayed in the barn overnight, as I normally do with my sows and gilts the night before farrowing. They weren't stillborn - did PMs and they were definitely born alive.

The four live ones are doing okay, though two have frostbite in their tails and I expect them to lose them.

Lesson to myself, and to everyone approaching farrowing in the next week or two - prepare the farrowing area early and get those heat lamps in position. If you can, be there during the farrowing.

Good luck x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:18:17 am »
Tudful T.  That is great advice, and so sorry for the loss of the piglets.

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »
I wish I could bottle you both, you would inspire so many of us who may be having difficult times at present.   :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

Totally agree with your comment Hilarysmum:)

And well done on your new arrivals sausageandcash...lovely news!!

Sorry to hear about your piglets tudful T...hope the four remaining are doing ok.
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS