Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rock salt / table salt  (Read 5998 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
rock salt / table salt
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:17:01 pm »
does anyone add any of these to the goats water?
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: rock salt / table salt
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:10:13 pm »
No.  What's it meant to do?  Would they not get that anyway in the mineral licks?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:06:51 am »
The best salt for goats is the Himalayan lumps of salt.  It is sold in most equestrian stores - ther difference with this  is it contains natural other elements.  My goats far prefer this to any other.  Rockie blocks are good but tend to dissolve in damp weather.

Table salt is NOT good as it contains elements to keep it free flowing - OK in emergencies but not as a general thing.

Himalayan blocks are just hung up and the goats have free access.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »
thanks for your reply ;)
we have the salt licks hanging up but i read in a goat husbandry book about adding salt to water,
thought i would see other people's thoughts on it ;)
thanks langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »
the white horse salt licks dissolve quickly if damp but the red (copper) ones are alot beta. i know sheep cant have copper salt licks cos they can drop dead, but can goats? dont they need more copper?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:10:40 am »
Yes goats need almost as much as a cow - very high metabolic rate.    Which is why I feed cattle dairy nuts and not goat food.   Dairy nuts about a third cheaper than goat food  so saves a lot of money over a year.

It is a good idea to get your ground tested for copper - some areas are very deficient, the south west in particular.  I believe peaty area is as well.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Salt is added to make them drink more water if I remember rightly.
    I remember having such a row with my vet when I took a kid in with swayback and said it had cotter defficiancy.He said there was no copper defiiency in the area,couldn't be swayback and goats must not have copper.I said goats were not sheep it was higly reccomended by Miss Mostyn who had the most famouse herd of milking BS's in the country and as my goats were coloured they needed more anyway still he refused to treat it for swayback and insisted on the usual tests (expensive)3wks later the results came back...guess what?! By then the kid was too far gone to treat annd had to be put down

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:26:51 am »
Get your ground tested by an Agricultural outlet - it is very cheap.  At least that way you know what you are dealing with - a lot of Vets have not got a clue.  You can then wave a printed report under their noses !!

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 03:34:43 pm »
why would coat colouring affect copper requirements?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 09:04:36 pm »
Haven't a clue- but it does seem to be true. It is very noticable in British Alpine's as they are black. If they are low in copper one symptom is that their coats will not be jet black, but dark brown instead. Generally at the edges, so down the legs etc. If you keep a mixed herd, and you have copper licks up, some of breeds spend far more time at them than the others. Oddly enough, its our BT's that spend most time at the copper licks, not the BA's. But the white one's, Saanen's, British Saanen's etc seem to need less.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS