Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Willows for firewood.  (Read 6725 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Willows for firewood.
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:26:51 am »
Well I took delivery of my first batch of 100 willows today along with spirals to protect the young plants. What did I forget the canes to support the spirals, so off to the local garden centre to purchase a 100 3ft bamboo canes before I can even start. :D

Weather forcast for today sunshine and showers, tomorrow heavy rain. :( :(

Think of me when some of you are lounging about on the sofa tomorrow afternoon, wading through the mud to plant our future firewood. I must be mad. ???

Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
Re: Willows for firewood.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »
We planted 100 x 1ft rootless willow cuttings back at the beginning of March and most of them have taken and are about 3ft tall now.  We didnt use spirals or bamboo canes, just put them in as they are and they are all standing up nicely, mind you they are in a sheltered position along the side of a field at the bottom of a steep bank.  Good luck with yours and happy planting!
Hilary

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:56:37 pm »
These are two foot cutttings and spirals are to stop rabbits and possibly sheep if the manage to get too near.
Am  hoping to plant more, but are also planting 50 hybrid poplars to add to the 25 ash trees last year.
Glad to know that most of yours have taken as it is a bit of a gamble.
Busy day tomorrow.
Hubby's birthday as well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:02:39 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:30:24 am »
As folk might know from the website, our land runs down to the river, which is tidal where we are.

We're having a fence put along the bank to stop incursions from the sheep next door (so far ours haven't gone the other way).

Would we be able to plant willow on the river side of the fence i.e. woudl it stand the conditions? It might help stabilise the bank and would provide shelter, as well as wood, of course.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 07:57:48 pm »
The main thing you have to worry about is their root incursion - they travel a long long way.  Just make sure the field drains are kept clear and you should be OK.  Willows are very hardy and will grow almost anywhere. You won't need many to start with as they are very prolific and once established you can cut stems off stick em in the ground and they'll grow like billy-o, Oh and you could make a nice little wendy house for your daughter too.  Willow huts and arbours are beautiful, epecially with clematis growing through them, or thornless roses.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:57:06 pm »
I would be inclined to put them above the level of the high tide as not too sure how they would react to salt water.
There is a web site where willow cuttings can be purchased , but they can also give you advise as to your individual circumstances I am sure there are others, try www.bowhayesfarm.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
Managed to put all the willows and poplars in yesterday very soggy and tired at end of day.

Today  raided the rotten manure pile, 8 years since last touched haven't got or can't afford a much spreader ,gosh was it heavy, but have managed to make a micro dent in the pile to mulch all the new trees.

I think I'll leave it a week before I get the next batch to give my aching shoulder a rest.

I hope they take.

gilesn

• Joined Dec 2008
    • Mammoth Willow
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:26:28 pm »

Would we be able to plant willow on the river side of the fence i.e. woudl it stand the conditions? It might help stabilise the bank and would provide shelter, as well as wood, of course.

Some willows are much more tolerent of salt than others, for example the triandra varieties, which include Q83 don't like salt. In maritime conditions go for a viminalis variety such as Bowles Hybrid or Gigantea. Both of these should grow 6-9feet in the first year, if you can control the weeds around them, our site has some more detailed advice on how to do this. http://www.mammothwillow.co.uk/shop/willow_growing_guide.html . As for rabbits they can be a problem but they don't tend to go for viminalis varieties unless there is a food shortage, but goats love them and in New Zealand willows are grown as fodder for cattle

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 01:57:26 pm »
THanks for this - very helpful. I'll bookmark the site for future reference.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS