Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Favourite and most useful gadget at the moment!!  (Read 8854 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Favourite and most useful gadget at the moment!!
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:45:32 pm »
whats your best piece of equipement at the moment, share it with us - it might help us too.

The water pipes down to the stables are totally frozen at the moment, and this is where I usually get all the water for all the animals.
So my best purchace this year, and my most favourite piece of kit, is my 'H2O carrier'. It sits in a small wheelbarrow and carries a LOT of water. All i have to do is defrost the tap at the top of the house and wheel it all down the lane. Two trips and there is enough water for all the horses and other animals....its great. You can carry loads more water than in buckets and it is a lot easier on the arms. And I dont spill a drop!!!

I do also have a big blue container, bowser thing but that it OK for slight frosts. the tap is frozen solid on that too!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: Favourite and most useful gadget at the moment!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:14:54 pm »
Thanks pikilily, I've been meaning to order one of these for a while and your recommendation nudged me into it. I could really do with it at the moment, my arms are stretching!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:39:15 pm »
My snow shovel  ;) ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »
Has anyone come across a practical sledge - at present I'm using a plastic boot liner with string and it fits a small bale of hay fine to drag up to the sheep but I don't think it's going to last long (crack in the corner)..Guess it would have to be plastic or would dig into the heavy snow too much - idea's much appreciated
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »
wellies

cheers

Russ

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »
Cotton traders snow boots.

Worth every penny.

Beth

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »
you could use an old car bonnet as a sledge !! or any suitably sized bit of metal , just be careful of sharp edges...I have used an old sheet of corrugate iron , bent up at the front end . I tried this last winter when the snow was here ,it worked fine , but I was unable to pull it, as I had ripped a ligament off in my knee ...not a good idea ....

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »
I have had my most useful gadget since getting engaged in 1965!  It is made by brabantia and it is a tool for opening absolutely anything - bottles, jars, tins, and I can't even remember what else it has opened - when anything is stuck fast I look for it.  My Aunt and Uncle gave it to me and my husband as an engagement present and it is most treasured. So whereever you are Sandy and Bunty - thanks ever so much! :love:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:26:59 pm »
A pink rampant rabbit

My latest hombrew was a bit of a disaster & not very gassy, so it's extremely handy to put a head on my pint    :D :D

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:50 pm »
Bailing twine:  Came in extremely useful for pulling buckets of road salt along the lane today when the gritter didn't come (nothing new there!) especially as the nearest salt bin is several hundred yards up from the house and the worst part of the lane (uphill from main road) is another two hundred yards in the opposite direction.  ??? I'm feeling very fit at the moment!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:52:50 pm »
my OH                         he is worth his weight in gold at the moment helping with the animals in this weather

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:55:35 pm »
My 4x4 - I'd never have made it up the track without it!

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:13:47 pm »
Has anyone come across a practical sledge - at present I'm using a plastic boot liner with string and it fits a small bale of hay fine to drag up to the sheep but I don't think it's going to last long (crack in the corner)..Guess it would have to be plastic or would dig into the heavy snow too much - idea's much appreciated
If you can get youself to Costco in Aberdeen, buy a 'boogie board' (I think they're about a tenner) it's a bit like a surf board but for snow, very lightweight and glides across snow with ease - it should easily carry a bale and when you're not using it for that it's the best sledge I've ever had ! But be warned - they go fast ! So fast, it's got brakes to slow you down  :o :o :o

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »
Sound really fun HappyHippy - effort up to the sheep and fun on the way back - now that sounds fine to me!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »
Clickable handwarmers - my gloves & pockets are full of them!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS