Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chucks and goats  (Read 2529 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
chucks and goats
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:50:55 pm »
is it ok for these two to run together on same plot of land?
i think that it maybe ok, but thought i would ask in case of anything like worms etc.
langdon  :chook: :goat:
Langdon ;)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: chucks and goats
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:55:50 am »
Pop your question on the goat forum too, the chickens won't care much about the goats if the goats keep themselves to themselves, but I'm not sure the goats will leave the chickens alone - they will certainly be all over their housing and that might cause you problems. I wouldn't keep them together.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
i have 2 goats in the same paddock has 6 orpingtons and never had any bother with them getting along
sam :chook: :goat:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:32:22 am »
I've always found they get on quite well. The chickens particularly like it if they have access to the goat shed because then they can scratch up any spilt bits of goat food and eat that as well. They do perch on the goats back's sometimes too. I would probably make a run for the chickens too, so that you could shut them if necessary, but they can run around with the goats.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:06 am »
mine love going in with the goats. I used to have to fight them away from the milking bucket when we still had a milker!  Goodness only knows how my chickens have survived the fox as they never stay where they are supposed to! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:21:35 pm »
I have 4 goats with the chickens. One of the pygmy goats sometimes has a run at the hens when they get too close to his trough but the hens always seem to get out of the way.
Only problem to watch for is the hen pellets- my other pygmy got a belly full and was very poorly. Thought he wasn't going to make it. Vet sorted him out but still forewarned is forearmed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:50 pm »
Yes - goats (and sheep, lambs, dogs etc etc) eating layers pellets would be your biggest problem. There must be something in these that makes them irresistable to any farm animal (maybe I should try them too!!!!), but not recommended.

Also if any laying hens have access to the goatshed - expect eggs in the most unsuitable places, I visited a farm where one of the hens was laying her eggs in the hayrack, and they ALL fell through the mesh... unless you got there very quickly! Just makes a mess and probably encourages vermin too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS