Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time milking  (Read 3563 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
First time milking
« on: March 23, 2022, 07:39:21 pm »
Evening

I’ve got to cows heavily in calf and starting to fill up nicely with milk. I was thinking I may have a go at taking any surplus’s milk as I quite fancied having a go at making some truly home made cheese and dairy products.

Does anyone have any tips on how to try this. They are first time calving too.

Or should I just not attempt it?

Any advice always welcome. It’s our first time with cattle.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: First time milking
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 09:59:20 pm »
What cows are they?
Modern commercial dairy breed? Commercial beef cross? Old school breed?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 06:41:52 am »
Herefords

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 07:05:46 am »
how much are they handled ?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 07:52:37 am »
They are pretty friendly and always come to us. Don’t mind be touched etc.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 08:31:11 am »
We've milked our Shetlands. Some folk can milk with the cow loose in the field, but I halter trained ours and always tied them up. We left the calves on and milked three quarters once a day - we have a wee milking machine as I found hand milking difficult. Once the calves got to about six /seven weeks, we either stopped (having made a lot of cheese) or shut the calves away overnight, then milked in the morning.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 09:21:40 am »
If these are first timers start now by getting them to where you want to milk, start to tie them up as Rosemary says and start gently touching their udders and teats.

My goats are also used to coming onto a stand (not necessary with cows) and to the noise of a milking machine from a young age.

Though the kick from a cow can be a lot more lethal than a goat....

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 03:51:14 pm »
Did you know that untill WW2 there were some herds commercially milking Herefords in England?  :thumbsup:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 08:38:36 pm »
If you were asking when the cows were 4 or 5 months off calving, I'd be giving you a roadmap for getting you and them ready.  But if they're already bagging up and you've never milked a cow...  I am not sure I would even take it on myself that close to calving, not with a non-dairy breed and especially without any kind of parlour or stall they are already used to. 

But..  if you are ever going to do it, it is so much better to start with a maiden heifer than an established suckler cow.  But maybe not as a rookie yourself... :/ 

How long is there before they calve?  Any chance you can get some hands on experience milking a cow before then?  Do you have somewhere you can create a parlour or milking stall?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 11:23:02 pm »
We have milked a couple of ours in a fairly unplanned way although our first cow was an ex dairy cow and so at least she knew what to do.

A well handled docile cow I would happily give it a go without much preparation, a nervous and jumpy cow I wouldn't go near. 

We put ours in the crush for milking as its convenient and I like them to be familiar with the crush.  Whether we are milking or not we like to get them in the crush shortly after they have had a calf to check that all 4 quarters are working and that the calf has had its first drink so we quickly find out if a cow is likely to stand for milking.

I'm sure less willing cows can be trained but have never really tried.

We use a milking machine as I find that my hands are aching after half a litre - but perhaps I'm just a weakling compared to a milkmaid of years ago!

Currently milking a Saler.

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 07:46:16 am »
Thanks all for the replies.

Both cows had little boys yesterday!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 08:02:04 am »
Congratulations on the two calves  :thumbsup:

How are the cows with you, have you been up close yet?  If they are very quiet, as Herefords often are, maybe try stroking the udder in the field and see what reaction you get. 

Personally I wouldn't want to stress a new mum if it's avoidable, but if you are still keen to explore the idea of milking, there would be no harm in just taking it easy step by easy step and stopping if she seems to be becoming agitated. 

With a heifer, especially of a non-dairy breed, it's best done as soon as possible.  In my experience, the longer she is left as a suckler cow the more "my milk, my calf, my teats" she will become. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS