Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horseshoe with "accesories"!  (Read 6364 times)

NickRJ

• Joined Jan 2022
  • Dolny Śląsk, Poland
Horseshoe with "accesories"!
« on: March 20, 2022, 02:47:30 pm »
Hello all, I am not a "horsey" person myself but thought that someone here might be able to solve a mystery which is puzzling me. My wife and I bought an old farmhouse here in Poland back in October. We are starting to clear out the clutter from the barns, there is A LOT of clutter! Amongst the curiosities are some boxes of assorted metalwork which includes ancient hinges, nails and horseshoes which may date back a century or more. We suspect that there have not been any working, or any other type of horse, on the property since well before the second world war. I attach a photograph of some of the horseshoes that I am trying to clean up as we may use them decoratively in the future but I was curious about the projections on them. I assume they were there to provide traction in the winter snows but if anyone knows for certain I would be fascinated to know.
Taking each day as it comes and trying to enjoy every challenge life throws my way.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Horseshoe with "accesories"!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 06:44:36 pm »
Yes they are for use on snow and ice.  The turned up bits on the heels are called calkins and were also used to prevent slipping on roads, however they put pressure on the heels of the horse and were not good for them.

NickRJ

• Joined Jan 2022
  • Dolny Śląsk, Poland
Re: Horseshoe with "accesories"!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 07:11:54 pm »
Thank you ever so much Buttermilk. Now I know, I have to admit I thought they looked as though they would be less than comfortable for the poor horse!
Taking each day as it comes and trying to enjoy every challenge life throws my way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS