Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udderly ez  (Read 927 times)

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
Udderly ez
« on: March 18, 2022, 10:53:14 pm »
We have sheep to milk so started milking when the lambs were old enough to be separated over night.
That part has worked really well. I got the Udderly ez as I find milking really
Painful with carpool tunnel in both wrists.
I only have 3 ewes to milk, I will have a goat in about a month.
I’m having issues getting the milk to come.  I issue getting suction on the ewes teat. No issue hand getting milk either.
I’m clearly doing something very wrong

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Udderly ez
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 07:27:31 am »
Does the udderly ez have pulsation? If not you are just sucking on a vacuum - very bad for udders if done regularly.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 08:07:52 am »
I think it’s just designed to be used sporadically at lambing for colostrum collection, rather than for milking every day.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:22:50 am »
Wow the Udderly -ez is not cheap for what it does circa £145 but iv'e read all i can find and it says for taking colostrum or excess milk or help with mastitis  so that reads that you need the udder under pressure to help the vacuum work   , so only for occasional use .  iV'E had a look around and the  few sites iv'e seen say no stock even amazon  but   Tim Gibson seems to have a good supply  a single bucket with pulsator and vacuum pump for circa £500

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 05:50:34 pm »
much easier by hand to be honest
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 02:53:32 am »
I bought one a few years ago. Never did master it, and wasn't happy how it could affect udder/teat. Can't even remember where it is now.
I saw something on eBay that looked useful, small milking unit with pulsator, s/s container, 7asked on a goat group and there were a couple of positive reports, wasn't  too expensive, but I think made in China.
I'm still thinking about it while handmilking.  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 07:02:11 am »
We bit the bullet right at the start of my goatkeeping - a proper portable goat milker which even 10 years ago was over a 1k, BUT - it has never not started, and so far works like a dream. No point in trying to buy cheap... and it means my husband (who never mastered handmilking) can do the goats without any problems as well.

Looking at the teat sizes of my Shetlands - no I do not want to hand milk them! Even my lambs that need colostrum usually get frozen goat stuff!

I also had CTS (operated on a few years ago and no problems since) and now arthritis in my wrists, so handmilking more than a couple of goats on a daily basis is just not possible. If you want to continue to do serious smallholding with bits of your body failing - and it happens to most of us once we get to 50 - then you need to invest in some proper technology, at least it is available these days!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS