Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do goats need coats  (Read 10792 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Do goats need coats
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »
My 2 pygmy wethers and 2 an wethers have access to outside during this cold snap- they seem happy to wander in and out of their house- snow on the ground or not.

Should I be letting them out/shutting them in or can i get them one of those doggie coats you see. It seems a little mean to keep them in if the want to be wandering about.
What do you think?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Do goats need coats
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:24:18 pm »
You will soon know if they are cold.  The ANs are the ones most likely,  the pigmies tend to have very thick coats.

I make Goat rugs that are specifically designed to fit - dog coats OK but not perfect in fit,   difficult to get them big enough for full grown wethers.  The coats I make are also waterproof as they are made from the same lightweight material as horse outdoor rugs.  Very warm with a 200g poly fill, don't slip even when a goat has rolled !

Give me a call if you would like to discuss further on  01647 231456 (evenings)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:40 pm »
I find my pygmy's pretty resilient - I only every lock them in is then the windy is howling and blowing the rain or snow directly into their house - so at all other times door at either end is open and then can go in and out or what then tend to do is go out one end have a look about and in the other end and continue that throughout the day - also maybe your's are better behaved than mine but mine would eat a coat maybe not their own but certainly everyone else's, including mine!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:35 pm »
If your goats are used to be out and about in most wathers and have free access to their house whenever they need it, then I don't think they need coats on at all. Good to have a couple in reserve if one is not feeling well... and for pigmies I would have thought a doggie coat should be ok.

misspiggy

• Joined May 2010
  • Carsphairn
  • Daisy and one of her3 kids!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:12:06 pm »
I have GG and they are out 365 days a year (unless just kidded and then they stay in for a night or two!) and dont have coats - they would eat them!

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:23:36 pm »
I have GG and they are out 365 days a year (unless just kidded and then they stay in for a night or two!) and dont have coats - they would eat them!
my gg used to shiver real bad, in winter, felt sorry for her, but wasnt skinny and had plenty shelter. i was gona get her a coat but couldnt find any waterproof ones.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48:44 am »
If you are interested I make waterproof ones with warm linings.  Many people have bought them for just this sought of weather.

They will stay in place and not slip.   I make to order so would need measurements but these can be in the post within 24hrs of order.

Ring me on 01647 231456 if you would like to discuss further - evenings best !!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 07:09:33 pm »
we had -15 here last week, and my girls was shivering & I was very worried about one of them who i thought may get phnumonia. The shed they are in is incredibly cold, even the water buckets were froze solid. I put single feece rugs on both of them, but decided to install a heat lamp instead, they dont mind wearing a rug, but the lamp brings temp up to +2 in the shed, which is far more acceptable apparently as the girls are much happier & no longer shivering.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:08:16 am by Mays »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:40:37 am »
If they wear coats, does it not stop the natural 'winter' coat growing through? I was just wondering because when I stuck a coat on my bald, moulting hen (yes, I am that daft!!) I got told by the fowl trust that it would stop her feathers growing back properly so removed it quick smart!
I do need to get a coat for times when the goats are poorly though so will be getting in touch soon wytsend.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:06:25 am »
If they wear coats, does it not stop the natural 'winter' coat growing through? I was just wondering because when I stuck a coat on my bald, moulting hen (yes, I am that daft!!) I got told by the fowl trust that it would stop her feathers growing back properly so removed it quick smart!
I do need to get a coat for times when the goats are poorly though so will be getting in touch soon wytsend.

The winter coat is "grown" as the days shorten, thus once winter arrives the winter coat is in full bloom. Rugging before the winter coat is established will to some extent inhibit coat growth, but really only artificial light would make any noted difference as it is light that triggers the growth and casting process. At this time of year as the daylight starts to creep in again they will start shedding their winter coat. i often, infact almost always see some casting starting around the end of December with the horses.

Chickens however, I guess are a compeletely differrent situation? I actually know nothing about hens & have no idea if they grow thicker plumes in the winter or not??

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »
[quote I do need to get a coat for times when the goats are poorly though so will be getting in touch soon wytsend.
[/quote]

Give me a call on 01647 231456 - evenings,  to discuss measurements etc.

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »
I put single feece rugs on both of them, but decided to install a heat lamp instead, they dont mind wearing a rug, but the lamp brings temp up to +2 in the shed, which is far more acceptable apparently as the girls are much happier & no longer shivering.

Love the photo on FB of one of them looking up at their new lamp  ;D

Your girls are very lucky

Diane

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:04 pm »
we had -15 here last week, and my girls was shivering & I was very worried about one of them who i thought may get phnumonia.

am i right in thinking that pnemonia can be caused by standing still in damp/humid conditions as opposed to the cold. i was told by a farmer once, its not the cold that gets them, but its when it starts to warm up, then they get pnemonia and die. i think he was talking bout sheep but must all be relative.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS