Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clogged nose yuk  (Read 1638 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Clogged nose yuk
« on: March 15, 2022, 01:47:42 am »
May sound horrible, but does anyone else occasionally have to 'pick' a goats nose?
One goat, a Boer, gets stuff built up round the inside of her nostrils. Due to kid in a couple of days, could hear her making a sort of wheezing sound, picked all the (almost solid) gunge out, and she's fine again, clean underneath, so not scabs. The things we do for goats LOL

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Clogged nose yuk
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 11:00:54 am »
Yeah the dust from the hay is causing a bit of a build-up from time to time. Unless it gets really bad, I just leave them to it though..., but have been known to clean them up as well. My previous male was quite bad for it.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
Re: Clogged nose yuk
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 02:12:43 pm »
We do it for the dog!

At first I thought it was the snout soother ((nose balm) epi dog when fits gets dehydrated), then i thought it was the weetabix getting stuck up her nostrils when she has breakfast & tea.

Apparently it's a crust, skin cells, some dogs get it! So mum, and her little finger (joys of little hands, they came handy In the past lambing!) goes up Flo's nostrils to clean them out.

Very placid dog, not bad for 11 yr old half Rottie!

No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS