Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer holidays  (Read 3217 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Summer holidays
« on: March 13, 2022, 12:49:26 pm »
Good evening were looking to book our summer holiday , we tryed to book at week in a static caravan in laide scotish Highlands
 but they was fully booked one week after opening the bookings,  looking for a small caravan site or cottage to stay in , 2 adults and 2 children,  close to the sea if anyone had any suggestions?? Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:59:27 pm by vfr400boy »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Summer holidays
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 02:51:05 pm »
Good luck !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 10:44:11 am »
Pettycur in Fife?  or Fife's own website might help - https://www.welcometofife.com/accommodation-category/camping-and-caravans
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 02:44:45 pm »

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 05:16:04 pm »
Managed to get a place at reiff for a week in July right next to the sea , it was the last week they had in summer  :sunshine:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 06:29:48 pm »
Where’s that?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 07:37:32 pm »
About 30 mins North of Ullapool

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 11:40:02 am »
You live and learn - born and bred in Scotland and never heard of it. Looks a nice wee place.  Hope you like solitude  :eyelashes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiff,_Ross-shire
https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/achiltibuie/reiff/index.html

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 01:44:42 pm »
Cant wait we had family holidays up there as kids and enjoyed it
   Hopefully my kids will as well , will do some boat trips bird watching,  playing on the beach and nice walks etc

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 04:22:33 pm »
I had a memorable family holiday near Ullapool in the 1970s. I returned many years later with my sons wondering if it could ever be as good for them - in fact  it was a fabulous family time. Boats, fishing camp fires and being together in what is frankly the most stunning scenery- and Smokey log fires are the best remedy for midges.
20 + years later one son returned with his mates. Stunned and amazed by it all again. I hope you and your family have an amazing holiday.

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 09:30:01 am »
Prices of holiday accommodation seem to be taking a fairly hefty increase.

I can understand that with the energy prices going up the way they have, to a certain degree this might be unavoidable - hopefully not blatant profiteering.

The places that have night storage heaters and include the first £20 of electric might become a little harder to stay in and keep on top of your costs during the colder months.

I've tried to book well in advance for the coming year or so to attempt to beat the price hike.

That said, I'm reluctant to use the biggest company of the UK sites after they cancelled my spring holiday over the pandemic and then put their prices up 30% overnight!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 09:10:25 am »
Reiff is great, you should have a great time there.

Well done for finding anything this late.  I booked the last available accommodation in Barra in July back in December!

Covid (and the NC500) have increased tourism in the Highlands to the point where some communities will soon cease to exist as local people will be driven out to make space for more holiday accommodation and the roads blocked by miles of camper vans and coaches bringing workers from Glasgow to clean the holiday homes (apparently this already happens in Skye as there are not enough people left in the area to service the holiday lets)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 09:31:54 am »
My days of travel abroad are over, so like many its a staycation for me too, lucky for me I have found the Ideal one,
away from home, pool , nice views and secluded woodland to chill out and watch the wildlife in, another advantage is its easy to get to, pet friendly as well ,  solar  power and warm water fire pit etc etc has excellent facilities nearby .

Ok, so its the big green house with the pool in it ,down by the woods its far enough away that I need to use the quad bike to get too it !    :D :D :D

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 11:00:22 am »
The North coast 500 has spoiled the peacefulness of a holiday in the Highlands. There are regular reports of camper vanners dumping their waste in laybys and watercourses.

Forestry commission car parks with clear signage indicating no overnight stays filled with camper vans ignoring the instruction.

I was fortunate enough to have toured the North before the madness began, I wouldn't travel on the road from Tongue to Durness now.

Accommodation is not only becoming more expensive, but harder to come by. There was a place I liked the look of and wanted to book. Next year wasn't available so I had to book well in advance - 2024!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 12:44:36 am »
Indeed - it is has all now become a madness, but why has "loutish" behaviour (for that is what it is) become main-stream I ask ?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 12:48:40 am by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS