Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worst snow?  (Read 6035 times)

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
worst snow?
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »
Where is the worst of the snow in the country as swindon there is naff all and if i got a load to take somewhere i could do with how bad it is in certain places around the country. where has the snow hit bad? cheers peoples

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: worst snow?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:05:54 pm »
in the Lampeter Llandysul area of Wales , there was only a couple of inches . The main roads are all clear as far as I know , but the ungritted small side roads are like ice rinks....Traffic is moving about , albeit slowly on the side roads .

cheers

Russ

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »
Scottish Borders near Earlston - we've got about a foot of the white stuff

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:12:49 pm »
buckie we have at least 6 inches and its snowing again, all the main roads are open.

have you had a look on the traffic scotland website, at the eye road cams,

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »
about 6 inchs up here. with drifting. only 4x4 conditions

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:21:49 pm »
About 4 inches here, most arrived this morning this morning. Roads possibly passable in a car, though NOT in my car. Our council is very good at gritting and clearing the roads- came home tonight and crossed the border from Lanark into Falkirk, and found a snow plough sitting waiting for us just over the council border, and lovely clear road!

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:30:35 pm »
4 inches in Derbyshire (I measured it!)
now seriously icy  :(  not looking forward to tomorrow night when more snow is due, on top of the ice...
And our gritters dont seem to work weekends
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:42:56 pm »
Over a foot here I think - didn't use measuring tape only 'leg/boot', wind up so drifting where we cleared!!! OH van parked at the end of the track so he can make an attempt to get to work - our wee van well and truly stuck at home.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:05:21 am »
For once - we seem to be escaping it  8) Only an inch or so at the moment, but there's some forecast for Tuesday  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 07:40:26 am »
Well after a hairy landing at Edinburgh Airport yesterday afternoon (one of the few planes let in, it then had to wait for a taxi to lead the plane to the building as there was a white out, no idea how the pilot got it down!), and then a diversion home, but OH got the car (already parked at the bottom of the lane) out and picked me up from Galashiels.... this morning there is even more, and no way anoyone is going out today.... Out to count my sheep now... and clear the polytunnel... and the fruitcage.... and bring warm water to the goatshed... Oh I realy do NOT like this kind of winter!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:32:51 am »
a foot here in North Fife. Worst is that it had started thawing last night and has re frozen like a sheet under new snow. the netting on the run is a casualty, not even looked at the polytunnel yet...:&>

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:45:41 am »
None here in Devon yet but coming back from Wolverhampton in the early hours of Saturday morning Somerset was like fairyland with snow lying under a bright moon. Thankfully the motorway was clear though!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:10:25 am »
Abbattoir day here on edge of north york moors. We had another 4 inches on top of the 4 we already had!
Managed to get pick-up & trailer to main road and further down road  12 miles there was much less snow only a couple of inches. We have so much because we're quite close to the coast and its been battered by snow storms, at work 9 miles in the opposite direction from home (made it here in my trusty pick-up and have already dug out one smart car!! ::) and given a lift to someone who was stuck) the snow is coming down in great chunks so i think i'll do what i have to do and head back home. Had all the pigs to straw up again this morning and have carried about 10 gallon of warm water to free up troughs, they've all had their breakfasts and gone back to bed. I wish!! ;D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »
I was flying home from Belfast to Edinburgh yesterday but wasn't lucky enough to get there ::)

Eventually got rerouted to Glasgow so at least on the right land mass ::) but my car was at Edinburgh airport and the promised coaches didn't meet us at Glasgow - turned out the transport manager for Easyjet in Glasgow on shift hadn't been told of the diversion of our plane ::) tho obviously someone did cos it landed AFTER Edinburgh had reopened I later realised >:(

Waiting 2 hours in Belfast, another hour and a half or so in Glasgow, then a hairy scary bus ride to Edinburgh that took us til 10pm and the hotels were all full of flight cancelled folk so had no option but to crawl home up the A92 on the one available lane in tight formation with everyone from the AA van to HGVs :o  It started snowing heavily as I got into my car so I was pretty nervous but SO grateful for the Disco which kept me on the bits of road I was driving on, even tho sometimes over the lines in one direction or another and never higher than 3rd gear that I recall :o  Drove the long way home, up to Parbroath and back down the A913 to avoid the shorter backroad routes as I didn't know what they'd be like.

Driving them this morning with hay for the hill stock was ok but actually almost better not seeing what you're driving on ;)

Haying here has been a nightmare, everything frozen solid including my hands, taps, bales, strings... and a tree half fallen beside the house.  I have cancelled my evening out in advance after that 12 hour epic yesterday, it was as the police say "necessary travel" and so is feeding but everything else is NOT today!

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »
We are rural.  Central Region.  There is over a foot of snow on the road.  I havent been out since Friday.  The hens wouldnt come out of their house on Sat.  So were fed etc indoors.  Great fun.
Cheers Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS