Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: and gone  (Read 4516 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
and gone
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »
Head count tonight at bedtime, 2 chickens short. one we found on the highest window sill, the youngest, only 14 weeks old is gone. they sat all day just near the house on a wood pile as it was so cold.  I can't believe it, am so upset. No blood in the snow or any sign of struggle. All that was odd was that the ducks were in bed really early and 2 of the hens and cockerel still out, should have done the head count then, whatever difference that would have made... :chook: :&>
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:12:31 pm by northfifeduckling »

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: and gone
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 05:49:15 pm »
aw, sorry to hear that.

happened to one of mine earlier this year, just vanished into thin air, poor thing.

you may light another's candle from your own without loss

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 05:56:14 pm »
Fox does come out in the day, and now the weather has turned food is harder to find. If he has had her, you can be sure he will be back for his easy pickings, so be extra vigilant.

Lets hope she turns up tomorrow.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »
There were no strange footprints anywhere, my feeling is either an owl or hawk as they were out later than usual. I normally hear the foxes barking during the day across the road before they have a go at a visit. Will have a good look around tomorrow, maybe we can see whatever if there is not any more snow coming overnight:chook: :&>

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:09:32 pm »
Certainly sounds like something has given them a fright. Could be fox, or even a dog.

Lets hope she has gone to ground and appears tomorrow. If you can, get up early - as if she is out and about she stands more chance of being taken early tomorrow morning when she reappears. Just nip out and take a look at her usual places, if you find her you'll be glad you did, and you can put her somewhere safe until a decent 'get up' hour.

In the past my birds have been lost to fox during the day, and just the once I lost chicks to a stoat.

Not sure if an owl would take, I don't think they hunt anything that large, keeping to nothing larger than voles, mice and the like.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 07:32:00 pm »
So sorry to hear you've 'maybe' lost one of your chicks :(

Might have been a buzzard or kite - we've had them around to-day - not had any chooks taken as yet... Mine are 15 weeks old.

there was a big dog fox going through the paddock the other lunch time, luckily my big orpingtons were not free ranging they were still penned.  Their pen is 5' high pheasant netting with 3' high chicken wire at the bottom and 2 strands of Electric wire at 9" and 18".

Hopefully your little one will turn up tomorrow safe and sound.
You are never to old to learn something new

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 09:24:17 pm »
Don't know if you have snow lying, but we find that when there is the younger birds get a bit confused and don't go to bed as early as usual.  In fact i have to round them up and chase them in.  So I'm just wondering if your hen has stayed out too late then snuggled down somewhere once she realised it had got dark and she wasn't in.  Hope she's ok.  Hope it's not as cold as here - minus 9 at 2100, bound to get colder before dawn.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
will keep fingers crossed for you  :hshoe:

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:29:33 pm »
She may be in hiding, hope so, fingers crossed, I would be sad too if I lost one of mine!!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »
Whats the latest news has she turned up ?
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:29:47 pm »
Thanks all, she did show up in the morning! When  I did the ducks an hour after I fed the chickens she appeared out of nowhere at the feeder. I had spent the early morning in the blizzard with lightning looking all over the hedges and in all nooks and crannies - I'm so relieved. In this kind of weather they will not roam free in the garden any more! We had no power for a few hours today or I would have been here earlier!  :chook: :&>

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 06:07:39 pm »
Thank goodness for that. All well that ends well. :chook: :chook:

You'll both get a goodnights sleep tonight ;D ;D

Hope the weather improves - wev'e got lying snow thats frozen, it's verycold and slippy.
You are never to old to learn something new

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:41:20 pm »
Thank goodness, i had a feeling she was OK!!!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:13 pm »
A happy ending. So glad. Thanks for letting us know.

:wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:01:58 pm »
Oh that is good  :) :) :) :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS