Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small scale milking machines and milking stands  (Read 1876 times)

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
Small scale milking machines and milking stands
« on: February 19, 2022, 06:17:33 pm »
I need to invest in both this year.
My hands can’t take milking 4 sheep,1 goat and a cow at the end of the year.

I’m guessing I won’t find something I can adapt to use on all 3 species.
My hands won’t take building a stand again this year unfortunately so buying is my only option.
What can you lovely people recommend please

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Small scale milking machines and milking stands
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 10:06:22 am »
You will need a different milking machine set up for each of these species both wrt pulsating speed, vacuum, streng5h and the cluster obviously as well.

So if you need to switch to a milking machine, then one species to be milked only is the only choice IMO, given that a good quality 2nd had machine is still near enough 1k....

And if equipment etc is the issue, goats are the best choice wrt milk quantities, ease of handling and kind of kit required. bTB may also steer you towards goats rather than cows. Sheep are (as far as I know) very seasonal and unlikely to run through.

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 05:42:26 am »
[member=3211]Anke[/member]

Thank you for your reply.
I thought it was 1 machine per species. Then watching the American homesteaders they have 1 that does sheep,goat and mini cow (as they call them). You have to alter the suction part (no idea what it’s called)
I already have a goat (I think once she’s kissed she’s going to be sold ) we have 4 East Frisian sheep who are amazing tbh. The plan is to milk in season and freeze for winter as we have 4 and plan to add to the flock by 6. They are sooo much nicer and easier than the goat and she’s actually lovely.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 07:44:17 am »
The suction part I think you mean is the clusters. These are different for cows and goats. I am not sure if you can use the goat ones for sheep. However the strength of vacuum may be different as will the pulsation frequency. The best people to talk to are these ones - that is where my milking machine (for goats) has come from. Portable milking machines and bucket milking equipment

Another UK company selling portable milking mahcines is Tim Gibson, and his website is here. He is cheaper as far as I can see, but seems to have a good reputation as well (as have the company above).

Portable Milking Machines & Accessories Archives - Tim Gibson (tim-gibson.com)

I would steer clear of any US machines, very expensive to import and you will not get spare parts. US smallholders (or homesteaders) often use a small vacuum pump without pulsation, which is not recommended for regular use as it damages the udder.

If you are happy with the amount of milk you get from sheep (as in you won't be making lots of cheese and only need for drinking) then freezing for winter may well be a good option. However milk sheep are even more niche than dairy goats are in the UK....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS