Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep tractor  (Read 1215 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
sheep tractor
« on: February 19, 2022, 12:35:45 pm »
Just browsing youtube and i came across sheep / pig / goat  tractors , very clever idea for small numbers on limited acres

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: sheep tractor
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 01:12:44 am »
More info [member=9755]shep53[/member] would be useful:  what is a sheep/pig/goat tractor then ?

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 08:52:57 am »
Bit like a chicken tractor I assume? Land gets grazed and/or turned over and fertilised intensively in one small area, then animals are moved onto a fresh patch either daily or every other day.
I can see how it would work very well with pigs.
The only downside I can see is the animals don't get a lot of space to "roam" as per their natural inclination. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 09:43:00 am »
One of our neighbours in Cumbria had operated a hugely successful milking herd of Jerseys on a smallholding less than 1/4 the size of dairy farms with the same headcount (and less output per kg of cow), using folding to manage the land use, which I think is similar?  Basically grazing strips, moving the electric fencing every day or two.  So they always have just enough grass for today, and mostly all the poo lands on what they grazed hard yesterday.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 01:36:44 pm »
Don't know how to put it from Youtube to TAS but easy to find on Youtube , one guy built his own out of metal fence ,rails ,four corner posts and  4 wheels , some have shade or even a shed  and water could be added with a drinker and plenty of pipe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS