Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeps breaking the door down and escaping!  (Read 4246 times)

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
Keeps breaking the door down and escaping!
« on: February 18, 2022, 06:10:26 am »
I’ve had my pain in the neck gelding since he was 8 weeks old. He’s 7 this year. I absolutely adore him otherwise he would be gone by now.
He escapes from the field so he’s shut in. He likes being in it seems (rushes to his stable).  He the smashes the door up and stays inside his stable.

I don’t know what to do with him to keep him safe.
He managed to get into the sheeps feed last time he escaped from the field. Scared the life out of me.

Other than selling him or culling him what on the earth can I do.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Keeps breaking the door down and escaping!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 03:38:13 pm »
Have you tried an open field shelter in his field? 

Toys or other things for him to do in his stable? 

A companion? 

Otherwise a behaviourist or other trainer may be able to help you.  Intelligent Horsemanship trainers are trained to look for the causes of behaviours, and ways to solve behavioural problems.  (Other techniques are also available - eg., Parelli, Warwick Schiller, many others - and may suit you better.  Have a look at a few websites and videos, and see what gels with you.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:17:06 pm »
I’ve had my pain in the neck gelding since he was 8 weeks old. He’s 7 this year. I absolutely adore him otherwise he would be gone by now.
He escapes from the field so he’s shut in. He likes being in it seems (rushes to his stable).  He the smashes the door up and stays inside his stable.

I don’t know what to do with him to keep him safe.
He managed to get into the sheeps feed last time he escaped from the field. Scared the life out of me.

Other than selling him or culling him what on the earth can I do.

If you are anywhere near Cornwall [member=215025]Melias farm[/member] , I know a canny horse-woman/trainer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 08:21:12 pm by arobwk »

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 10:55:42 pm »
We have 2 other horses so he’s not on his own. He gets in a real diva when I drive or god forbid along the I walk along the drive he throws a diva fit when I get the gate .
In his stable he has a snax ball and a thingy I stuff full of carrots he yanks them out and makes one hell of a racket.
He has 2 large hay nets. Rarely finishes them.

I’ve put him in my sons ponies stable (sons pony was in my mares box, mare went in divas box. Left the small pony box (diva is only 14.2hh). He didn’t bang the door there. Tbh he’s never been this bad.
I’ve spoilt him massively because he was my 1st goal in about 20 years.
I’ve done level 2 parelli with him. I was working on our level 3. I’ve had to stop because of my health. I’m hoping to start again when the weather cheers up a bit.

I plan to leave him and my mare out tomorrow leaving the stables open for them.  I’m hoping I don’t end up with him in my kitchen raiding the fridge 😱😂

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 10:03:20 am »
I’m in Hastings so a fair way from Cornwall unfortunately.
I’ve asked about pr trainers here. There’s no one!
I’ve let them out with access to a 4ft round bale rather than the barrows of hay (they don’t run out). So far so good 🤞

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 10:47:17 am »
I think I'm reading this correctly and actually he breaks into the stable rather than breaks out? And he breaks out of the field to do that?

What sort of fencing is he breaking through from the field? Is it your fencing that needs addressing?

What breed of horse is this and is he broken to ride?

You do need help. Have you asked at the vet or the feed merchant if they know of anyone locally who helps with horses. He doesn't sound any happier in the stable than in the field. Sally's suggestions above are good ones.

It was interesting what you said about him liking another ponies box. I moved a pony into a different box and she much prefers it but it doesn't help the field situation and you can't keep a pony in 24/7.

If he isn't broken I would send him away for breaking. A completely new environment, regime and somewhere he wont be spoilt. Once broken you have greater options for him.

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 09:26:38 am »
He’s a Friesian gypsy cob mix. I’ve had him since he was & weeks old.
He brakes out of the stable and jumps the fence (it’s nearly 5ft electric fencing that’s walking out 8000v!!!

He wants to be in the house with me. He seriously thinks he’s a person and belongs in the house!

He isn’t broken. He was started when the previous owner had this yard (I let him at full livery here). Then she kept taking the money and wasn’t doing anything (I was working abroad for 6 months).
I’ve been trying to find someone to back him for me. I won’t send him away. I’ve seen horrors returned.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 12:43:57 pm »
But you'd be sending them the horror...... :roflanim:

Seriously, make enquiries and send him to someone reputable. Ask at your vets as a start. He's a danger to himself breaking out and possibly others. He needs a reset that he's a horse. One with jumping potential!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 03:43:40 pm »
Well I bred my Friesian cross cob andshe was just like this.Sabrina was such a Diva. If Iwas late taking her in at night she jumped the gate. Took her stable wall down when I was in hospital as OH was late one morning giving her breakfast and letting her out. When ready to foal she came up the field and banged on the metal gate to be let in. 30 mins later she had foaled. She kept me on my toes at shows, loved show jumping and cross country but would not jump for my first husband. I had warned him him but he thought he knew better. Put a child on her back and she never put a foot wrong. Her and I understood each other.She could put in a huge buck when cross with me but would also try to follow me into the loos at shows giving the person trying to hold her a hard time. When I had to give up jumping I did try to retire her but she hated doing nothing. Light hacking was too boring after the fune she had had. I put her out on loan age 18 to 2 ladies not far from me. She had a great time, loved their other horse and was still playing the diva right up to the week she past away age 28. I always though the Friesian in her was the reason she behaved the way she did. I knew her every mood and she knew mine. I would say you horse needs a job of work.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS