Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Managing the small pig herd training - west Mids area  (Read 1544 times)

Mrs pig

• Joined Nov 2010
Managing the small pig herd training - west Mids area
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:01:11 pm »
Hi My name is Odelle Walker and I'm a national pig consultant with ADAS (used to be part of MAFF) (Adas.co.uk)
I am running a set of 4 all day pig training courses in the West Midlands area from Feb 2011 onwards.  The topics covered are as follow:

Managing the Small Pig Herd

Part 1. buying a pig, legislation, handling, housing, biosecurity, feeding
Part 2. Health and reproduction - worming, vaccinations, common diseases, AI for beginners
Part 3. Breeding and farrowing - Gestational feeding, accommodation - what's happening, farrowing, feeding the piglet for success.
Part 4. Preparing the slaughter pig - loading and unloading, legislation, building a load bay, casualty pigs and what to do with them, niche and commercial markets for your product.[/color][/b]If you are in the west Midlands area and would like more details or to be placed on our mailing list for these meetings ( all details kept confidential) please contact me at Odelle.walker@adas.co.uk.
we have run these meetings with great success in the South East and had some great feedback.  the meetings are in the form of a workshop, really informal and usually incorporate some practical sessions if possible eg AI techniques
http://aplus.adas.co.uk
A+ ADAS News and Views

If you would like to ask me anything piggy please feel free to get in touch via the forum

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS