Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1 lonely chick  (Read 3170 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
1 lonely chick
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:03:02 pm »
We had only 1 chick hatch yesterday we left him in the incubator until today and have moved him to box with a heat lamp,have given him a teddy for company but he wont stop churping am i doing something wrong?

I did try and put him with one of our hens but she kept pecking him.i have given him some water and mashed chick starter crumb but hes not interested just seems to want to churp.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

rustyme

Re: 1 lonely chick
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:19:40 pm »
to get him to feed just use a finger to act as if it is pecking at the food. Do this continually till he does the same , normally only a minute or so !! Then do the same with the water, make sure the water is very shallow. The chirping is just what they do to call to mum .....ahhhhhhh..lol. hope that helps a bit...

cheers

Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:46:56 pm »
I raised a single hatchling in the bathroom.  I used jam pot lids for food and water which were shallow.  We used a painting tray with a mesh lid on it which suited fine - confined space so not too big and drafty, she slept on hay in the dip and the food and water went on the slope, and snuggled up with a little teddy.

You become mum really.  I talked to it every time I went in, and as she grew we let her out onto the tiled floor with a few toys - toilet role tubes, and a tray of turf for pecking.

The tiled floor made it easy to clean up her poo - her name became Poopy of course.

She did really well, became finger tame, and eventually I selected her a buddy and the two of them went outside in a rabbit hutch run where they were surrounded by the other chickens.  After a bit we lifted the lid and they went out during the day, but went home again at night, and that is how it went.  This was the end of last year. She is now in the hen house and just lovely.  Not so tame anymore but that is ok, she is thriving and happy.

It can be done - just be patient and you will both be fine!

Kate :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

martyn4764

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:02:03 am »

Off topic I'm afraid, but this is a message to Kate regarding the Kune Kune piglets you're due to collect from us.

I've not had any reply to the last three emails, and your answerphone is full.

Could you please contact me ASAP.

Thanks

Martyn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS