Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are your sheep still outside  (Read 4780 times)

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
Are your sheep still outside
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:28 pm »
I  am getting tempted tp bring the sheep in as its giving high winds and drifting snow here for the week. However they all seem ok outside,they have hay and are fed twice a day, am I being soft.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: Are your sheep still outside
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:22:53 pm »
Yes! :)

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:30:57 pm »
lol, thanks.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:01:07 pm »
Last night it was howling and I was so tempted to check the youngsters but didn't - this morning they were as bright as buttons waiting for their hay - I think they cope better than we give them credit - did bring ramie lambie down to a less exposed are though - so I'm a softie - at least you care
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:56:17 pm »
Ours stay out all year round, but do have small shelters in the fields. The only time we have ever brought any in is if a ewe lambs into a blizzard in the night - then they stay in the polytunnel until the snow has stopped.
Sometimes if it is snowy and it starts to melt a little in the day then the temp plummets quickly at dusk, they can get stuck to the ground by their fleece.  Usually that is not a problem as they are strong enough to get up, but on one occasion a heavily pregnant ewe got totally stuck leading to other probs I won't go into now.  We have never had sheep lost in drifts but it can happen on the hill - it would help to have black sheep then to make them easier to see  ;D.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:41:01 am »
thanks again, my ponies are all out, without rugs, and are fine.Some of the lambs started shivering last year so i fetched them in but this years lot seem alot hardier.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
Have they got a high-protein lick, NLL? That helps them cope with the cold as well.

Ours are Wiltshire Horn so don't have a fleece as such but they're fine outside. I suppose you could knit bodywarmers -just imagine the local farmers' faces! :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:40:47 am »
Or modify old woolly jumpers as I've seen in Shetland - where of course they are rather swish, being fair Isle patterns.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »
ok, im sorry, i have bought all the lambs in today.they were all soaked  so that you could see their skin.i could just see problems. they are still wet tonight and i think it will take them a few days to dry out. The older sheep are still outside including the pregnant ewes and im quite happy with them.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »
Golly yes my Shetlands are all out and all happy arguing with the geese :-) All have water hay and a lick plus a few nuts to fight over. The biggest group have an ark but the rest just have the hay hakes as shelter but seem happy and fine. Its me thats exhausted as the quad is broke so its all fodder and water by hand uphill!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »
I have not got any space at this time of year - my hayshed is also my lambing shed... Keep a pen set up for any emergencies, or if my old girl (12 years, but not in lamb any more) needs to come in... so all are out, have hedges to shelter below and are not even that keen on their haylage (yet)... during the day they dig their heads into the snow and are probably still finding some grass below...

I'm not sure if bringing them in is a help - unless they are ill they should be able to cope well with the weather! Inside they are much more likely to pick up bugs, coughing etc etc

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:45 pm »
Not that we have the awful weather some of you are experiencing  ;D

It's still B****** cold. Wev'e frozen snow on the ground which hasn't given out at all.

I've only got 8 ewes plus the borrowed Ram.  My OH has built a shelter that spans the fence between two of our paddocks with two gates so it can be used from either field.  It's long enough to feed in with a hay rack, for the five girls + ram they can use it or not and more often than not they don't...  except for Milly, I think she must have been a 'molly' lamb as the minute it spits with rain she dashes in and stands there with her head poking out until it stops.

The other shed is an old tin barn but it doesn't leak so my ewe lambs can use that if needed - again they'll lie out on the stone track leading to it rather than in it  ??? ???

Mine have ad-lib hay - though they aren't eating much of it.  A small feed at night of barley, sugarbeet and a few ewe/coarse nuts. A Supalyx super energy lick.

There's nowt so queer as animals, as humans we think they are like us and need to be cuddly and warm; we give them a thick straw bed... but given the chance and they will spend it outside... what they don't like is weather that is wet and windy.

You are never to old to learn something new

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:37 am »
Sheep are designed to live outdoors all year round and it can be quite bad for them to be bought in wet as they cannot move around and dry! Sheep wool is designed to keep them warm and ok even in very harsh conditions. I know it sounds hard but thats why they have wool. Mine have access to hedges and a bit of shelter but never choose to go inside, even in heavy snow and pouring rain....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS