Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clearing straw and muck from barn  (Read 5451 times)

skeeterm5

• Joined Nov 2021
Clearing straw and muck from barn
« on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:07 pm »
Hi all

I am after some tips or guidance on how to best clear a barn floor.

It is covered with a dry straw top which is sitting on top of matted manure. In total it is several inches thick.

I have scraped the first barn with the loader on my tractor which worked well as it had a concrete floor.

However the second part of the barn has a cobbled floor with irregular sized stones. When I try to use the loader to scrape it keeps hitting and hanging up on the cobbles.

I then reverted to a shovel but it is a big barn, the stuff is heavy and I would like to get it done before the next millennium comes round.

My other thought is to hire a mini digger which has a much smaller bucket and may be more effective.

I am new to this so any tips from more experienced folk would be most welcome.

😀

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Clearing straw and muck from barn
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 05:21:58 pm »
We used to use muck forks and take it off in layers, not trying to dig it out.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 06:07:19 pm »
Can you fit muck forks (prongs as opposed to a flat bucket) to the front of the tractor?  The stuff should lift up in large pancakes with enough oomph.  You might need to go hand gripes for the very bottom layer, or may find you can get almost all of it with the tips of the prongs, without damagjng the cobbles.  (This is my thoughts, not something I have personally done.  We always have had either cement or earth floors.) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

skeeterm5

• Joined Nov 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 07:54:43 pm »
Thanks

Yes I can fit forks to the tractor, so will give that a go.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 09:59:52 pm »
Thanks

Yes I can fit forks to the tractor, so will give that a go.

Great!  Take it in thinnish layers so you don't overload the forks, it usually comes apart in layers quite happily.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:21:36 pm »
Once you've got it up, chop it with a rotavator before stacking it for compost/FYM - brilliant stuff.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS