Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nuisance castrated boar  (Read 2330 times)

JaneKingsley

• Joined Jan 2022
Nuisance castrated boar
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:42:28 pm »
I rescued 3 pigs from RSPCA a year ago, to use to keep woodland and a water meadow area in check. 2 male, 1 female. The three pigs became 8 pigs 3 months later as one of the boars must have made a mad dash for procreation just before being castrated by the RSPCA vet!

The two male piglets were castrated but one had to have this done under anasthetic due to the testicles being retained and not dropping. All the castrated males show no interest in the females and do not display any of the characteristics of an intact boar, except this one who had the retained testciles, now removed.

He is acting just like an intact boar and is a real nuisance and has recently injured one of the females. He is now separated from them.

Vet said there is no chance of him being fertile, which is a relief but I want to know if there is anything that can be done to improve his behaviour (which is what I thought castration was supposed to do). Before I have another chat with the vet to find out the options, I just wanted to know if anyone has experience of this at all. The pigs are a bit of a mix, pot bellied with something else.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Nuisance castrated boar
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 10:38:45 am »
I am not a pig expert, but in general, testosterone may continue in their systems for quite a while (can be several months, even up to a year if they were fully developed when castrated) if they were not castrated very early.  Plus, in dogs certainly and presumably some other animals too, they produce testosterone in the adrenal glands as well as the testes, and in some individuals, at a level that still gives male behaviours even once the testes are removed.  (Again, more so if castrated later, especially if fully developed.) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Nuisance castrated boar
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 01:27:31 pm »
I think you would have to check whether pigs can continue to show male behaviour after late castration as Sally has mentioned above.

If he is still exhibiting strong characteristics not only is he going to be a nuisance when your sow is in season (every three weeks all year round) but he could potentially cause you an injury too. Leaving him within sight of the others (as being on his own isn't fair) he will need to be securely fenced so he doesn't break through. Although his testicles might not be working his nose will be.

I doubt there is anything you can do to reduce his behaviour except keep him well away from any females and give him castrated males for company.

Just an aside but gestation in a pig is 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days.

Sounds like you have given them a lovely home so I hope you can manage him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS