Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Merinos  (Read 2068 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Merinos
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:01:42 pm »
Does anyone know of any Merino breeders in the UK?  I'm thinking about getting a couple but really need to pick a few brains first!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Merinos
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:35:37 pm »
There are a few....but a big however....merinos are not all one type and some do not have the same type of fleece as the spanish merino which is the basis for the aussie one!!! Saxon Merinos for example are a meat then fleece breed.
There are very few in Britain due to the fact that they do not do well here as they prefer a drier climate. The British Merino fleece I have access to is totally different to Aussie Merino....but still amazing! Ask around, contact breed socs, try Bowmonts...as possibly best around.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:02:20 pm »
I was also going to suggest Bowmonts, 3/4 merino and 1/4 shetland. They do ok in Britian, I had a few unil recently, but am now concentrating on Shetlands.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll have a look around.  I've seen some Bowmonts, so I'll try there first.
thewoollyyshepherd; Do you know how much the British Merino fleece is?  We've been trying to find a merino wool jumper for my father, but aren't too keen on the Aussie sort due to the muelsing issues.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »
Shnoowie....I have a few but not spun. Best non mulesd merino is from the Falklands...
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS